Basic Biographical Details

Name: Walker & Pride
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1927
Ended: 2011
Bio Notes: William Hill Walker was born c.1875, the son of James Walker, farmer of Kingsbarns and his wife Jessie, later of Dauphinhill, St Andrews. He was an assistant with Hall & Henry of Church Square, St Andrews when he was taken into partnership by David Henry, the surviving partner of the practice, in 1913, but Henry died in the following year and Walker enlisted for war service. Although an architect and a man of means, Walker seems to have preferred to serve in the line. He was promoted sergeant in the 1/7th Black Watch in 1919 and was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre for his role in the advance on Ypres in the previous year. When the office, still at Church Square, was reopened in 1918 it was in the name of William Hill Walker only. His practice at first consisted mainly of police stations and houses and domestic work, mainly alterations.

In 1927 Walker took Frank Pride into partnership. Pride had been born on 28 March 1896, the son of Robert F L Pride, secretary of the linen and jute firm of Cox Brothers, and later (from 1921) of Jute Industries. He had been articled to Leslie Ower (a family friend) and his partner David Lindsay Allan in July 1912, attending Patrick Hill Thoms's classes at Dundee Technical College from 1913. His training had been interrupted by war service with the Royal Engineers from 1916. He had been commissioned 2nd Lieutenant and awarded the Military Cross for constructing a fort bridge over the Escaut River in the Schildt in October 1918. On his return in 1919 he had joined Thoms's firm of Thoms & Wilkie at 21 South Tay Street, Dundee, which had taken over the Ower & Allan firm on Leslie Ower's death in 1916. In 1925, by which time Wilkie had effectively retired from practice, Pride had been sent to St Andrews to take over the practice of the completely unrelated Captain William Walker who had died in February 1923: like Wilkie's, Walker's family had belonged to the parish of Longforgan and he had recommenced practice in St Andrews because of his marriage to Jenny Reid McCririck who lived there. Since Wilkie was also then living in St Andrews it seems that she had turned to Thoms & Wilkie as friends to wind the practice up. Pride had completed the work in hand to Thoms's entire satisfaction, supervised the construction of Thoms & Wilkie's County Buildings in Cupar, and begun to attract new business but Thoms had had no interest in continuing the St Andrews branch office. This resulted in Pride commencing practice on his own account in April 1927, and merging it with Walker's long-established one as Walker & Pride in the same year.

A branch office was opened at 8 Catherine Street, Cupar in 1930. Pride was admitted LRIBA in late 1931, his proposers being Thoms, William Salmond who was then president of the Dundee Institute of Architects, and the then secretary of the same Institute. His office address at that date was in Church Square, St Andrews, and he was living at 28 Lamond Drive.

William Hill Walker was more than comfortably off and his approach to business was somewhat relaxed. In 1933 he retired early, being bought out by Pride, who continued the practice as sole partner but retained the practice title of Walker & Pride. Between 1934 and 1939 he supplied all the architectural work for the St Andrews Building Company. The office was closed in September 1939 when Pride was re-commissioned in the Royal Engineers and was in charge of a bomb disposal squad during the Merseyside blitz. He was invalided out late in 1940 and did not recover sufficiently to reopen the practice until on 1942.

In 1953 Frank Pride's son Glen L Pride was taken into partnership and the office moved to the former Conservative Club at Mercat House, 1 Church Street, St Andrews, but because of national service Glen did not return to the office until 1955.

The practice was employed on a number of country estates which generally included alterations, additions and sub-divisions of the mansion house, cottages, lodges and farms. Between the mid-1950s when Glen Pride joined the firm and the time his father retired in 1966 the practice averaged 100 per year inspections and valuations of properties on behalf of building societies, insurance companies and banks.

Frank Pride retired in 1966 and died on 22 January 1970, leaving his son as sole partner. The practice merged with Muir Associates in 2011 and became Muir Walker and Pride Ltd.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 3Church Square, St Andrews, Fife, ScotlandBusiness19271953Main office
Item 2 of 38, Catherine Street, Cupar, Fife, ScotlandBusiness1930 Branch office
Item 3 of 3Mercat House/1, Church Street, St Andrews, Fife, ScotlandBusiness1953After 1981 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 6William Hill Walker19271933Partner 
Item 2 of 6Frank Pride19271966Partner 
Item 3 of 6Robert Saddler19341935Assistant 
Item 4 of 6Alexander Webb Abercromby20 October 194630 December 1951Chief Assistant 
Item 5 of 6John Robertson StewartAugust 1951December 1951Assistant 
Item 6 of 6Glen Lorimer PrideBefore 1976 Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 1431921Ten houses for Leslie Town CouncilLeslie FifeScotland 
Item 2 of 14319271 Middleshade RoadSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 3 of 1431927House for Cupar District Committee of the County CouncilParbroath FifeScotland 
Item 4 of 1431927Links HouseSt Andrews FifeScotlandAlterations
Item 5 of 14319281 Glamis Drive  DundeeScotland 
Item 6 of 14319283 Middleshade RoadSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 7 of 1431928Forty houses, Maryfield, for Leslie Town CouncilLeslie FifeScotland 
Item 8 of 1431928Tenement and shop at corner of South Street and Church StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction of shop at no 107 (St Andrews Citizen office)
Item 9 of 1431929BaidlandsSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 10 of 1431930sHousing for County CouncilTayport Fife  
Item 11 of 143193033 South StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction of shop
Item 12 of 1431930Adamson HospitalCupar FifeScotlandNew X-ray and Sterilizing Departments
Item 13 of 1431930Eighty-four houses, Priestden Park, for Town CouncilSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 14 of 1431930Links HouseSt Andrews FifeScotlandConversion to clubhouse
Item 15 of 1431930Police StationNewburgh FifeScotland 
Item 16 of 1431930Police StationEast Wemyss FifeScotland 
Item 17 of 1431930St Andrews Co-operative Society, South StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandNew outfitting department on three floors, including first elevator in the town
Item 18 of 143After 1930Cambo House  FifeScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 19 of 143193113 Buchanan GardensSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 20 of 14319315 and 7 Priestden RoadSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 21 of 143193165 South StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction of shop
Item 22 of 1431931BalcreeSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 23 of 1431931Shopfront for Mitchell, butchers, Market StreetSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 24 of 1431932Bay Tea RoomsSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction and additions
Item 25 of 1431932Cottages for Local AuthorityDunshelt/Cupar Muir FifeScotland 
Item 26 of 1431932EdgewoodSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 27 of 1431932Forty-six houses for Burgh CouncilSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 28 of 1431932Houses for Fife County CouncilPitlessie FifeScotland 
Item 29 of 1431932Houses for Fife County CouncilSpringfield, Cupar FifeScotland 
Item 30 of 1431932Houses, Boase Avenue, for Town CouncilSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 31 of 1431932Houses, Kinnessburn Road, for Town CouncilSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 32 of 1431932Housing for Fife County CouncilStrathmiglo FifeScotland 
Item 33 of 1431932Housing for Fife County CouncilKingskettle FifeScotland 
Item 34 of 1431932Housing for Fife County CouncilNewton of Falkland FifeScotland 
Item 35 of 1431932New premises for Cupar & District Co-operative Society, BonnygateCupar FifeScotland 
Item 36 of 1431933Crossgate Printing WorksCupar FifeScotlandExtensive reconstruction and additions
Item 37 of 143After 1933Balcarres HouseColinsburgh FifeScotlandVarious works on estate
Item 38 of 143After 1933Crawford Priory  FifeScotlandVarious works on estate
Item 39 of 143After 1933Feddinch HouseCameron FifeScotlandEnployed for various works on estate
Item 40 of 143After 1933Largo HouseLargo FifeScotlandVarious works on estate
Item 41 of 143After 1933Mountquhannie EstateKilmany FifeScotlandVarious works on estate
Item 42 of 143After 1933Tayfield HouseNewport-on-Tay FifeScotlandVarious works on estate
Item 43 of 143After 19341-5 Lawhead Road EastSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 44 of 143After 193430 and 32 Buchanan GardensSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 45 of 143After 193453-59 Hepburn GardensSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 46 of 143After 19346 and 8 Strathkinness High RoadSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 47 of 143After 1934Bungalows in Kinkell Terrace for the St Andrews Building CompanySt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 48 of 143After 1934Bungalows in Priestden Park for the St Andrews Building CompanySt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 49 of 143After 1934Houses in Kinnessburn Road for the St Andrews Building CompanySt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 50 of 143After 1934Houses in St Mary's Street for the St Andrews Building CompanySt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 51 of 143After 1934Rathelpie Villa, RathelpieSt Andrews FifeScotlandConversion into flats
Item 52 of 143After 1934The DunesSt Andrews FifeScotlandConversion into flats
Item 53 of 1431935Adamson HospitalCupar FifeScotlandWest addition. Nurses home.
Item 54 of 1431935Houses and flats, Muttoes Lane, for Town CouncilSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 55 of 1431935Housing for Fife County CouncilLeuchars FifeScotland 
Item 56 of 1431935Housing, Lamond Drive site, for Town CouncilSt Andrews FifeScotlandIn association with J C Cunningham?
Item 57 of 1431935Kinburn HouseSt Andrews FifeScotlandAlterations
Item 58 of 1431936Eight houses for Fife County CouncilWindygates FifeScotland 
Item 59 of 1431936Housing for Fife County CouncilStrathmiglo FifeScotland 
Item 60 of 1431936Tenement for Tayport Town CouncilTayport FifeScotland 
Item 61 of 1431937Houses for Fife County CouncilGateside Fife  
Item 62 of 1431937Twenty houses for Fife County CouncilLeuchars FifeScotland 
Item 63 of 1431938108 housesMethilhill FifeScotland 
Item 64 of 1431938CloverleaSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 65 of 1431938One hundred and eight houses for the County CouncilMethil FifeScotland 
Item 66 of 1431938Police houseKingskettle FifeScotland 
Item 67 of 1431938Twenty houses and teacher's house for Fife County CouncilColinsburgh FifeScotland 
Item 68 of 1431938Twenty houses for County CouncilFreuchie FifeScotland 
Item 69 of 1431938Twenty-two houses for Fife County CouncilLower Largo FifeScotland 
Item 70 of 143194416 central kitchens for school meals  FifeScotland 
Item 71 of 1431944Adamson HospitalCupar FifeScotlandMaternity wing
Item 72 of 1431946Housing for SSHAKennoway FifeScotland 
Item 73 of 1431946Kennoway Shopping CentreKennoway FifeScotland 
Item 74 of 1431946NetherleaWest Newport FifeScotlandConversion into Netherlea Maternity Hospital.
Item 75 of 1431947Adamson HospitalCupar FifeScotlandNew kitchen
Item 76 of 1431947Housing, DevillaTulliallan, Glendevon FifeScotland 
Item 77 of 1431948Kinglassie Colliery, pithead baths, medical treatment centre, canteen etcKinglassie FifeScotlandPithead baths
Item 78 of 143194924 College StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandRestoration and reconstruction
Item 79 of 1431950sBlocks of flatsTayport FifeScotland 
Item 80 of 1431950Dean's CourtSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction and restoration
Item 81 of 1431950Templehall Junior Secondary SchoolKirkcaldy FifeScotland 
Item 82 of 1431951Housing for Fife County CouncilKinglassie FifeScotland 
Item 83 of 1431951Housing for Fife County CouncilAuchtertool FifeScotland 
Item 84 of 1431951Housing for Fife County CouncilThornton FifeScotland 
Item 85 of 1431951Housing for Fife County CouncilCarnock FifeScotland 
Item 86 of 1431951Housing for Fife County CouncilTorryburn FifeScotland 
Item 87 of 1431951Housing for Fife County CouncilSaline Fife  
Item 88 of 1431951Housing for Fife County CouncilCrossford FifeScotland 
Item 89 of 1431951Housing, Hillend for Fife County CouncilKinglassie FifeScotland 
Item 90 of 1431953Conservative ClubSt Andrews FifeScotlandConversion to office on first floor and half of second flooring, and accommodation on rest of second and third floors
Item 91 of 1431954Madras College, South StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandMajor alterations and additions
Item 92 of 1431955Baker Lane housingSt Andrews FifeScotlandRedevelopment
Item 93 of 143195646, 48, 50 North StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction
Item 94 of 1431956Adamson HospitalCupar FifeScotlandNew 8-bed ward
Item 95 of 1431956House for the Misses HendersonWormit FifeScotland 
Item 96 of 1431956Stravithie HouseDunino FifeScotlandAlterations and east wing converted to flats
Item 97 of 1431956SwallowgaitSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction
Item 98 of 1431958House for G L PrideSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 99 of 1431958House for W H CraigClattohill, Blebo FifeScotlandInitial house
Item 100 of 143After 1958Bell- Pettigrew MuseumSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction from 1958 onwards
Item 101 of 143After 1958Bute Medical BuildingSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction from 1958 onwards
Item 102 of 143After 1958House for W H CraigClattohill, Blebo FifeScotlandAdditions including cottage
Item 103 of 143After 1958University of St Andrews, St Mary's CollegeSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction from 1958 onwards
Item 104 of 1431960House for Dr Douglas McIntoshKirkcaldy FifeScotland 
Item 105 of 1431960KenlygreenSt Andrews (near) FifeScotlandReconstruction
Item 106 of 1431962Seaquoin for Provost A W ScottElie FifeScotland 
Item 107 of 1431964Clatto Estate, House and Steading (Clatto Cottage)Cupar FifeScotland 
Item 108 of 1431964St Leonard's Church and manseSt Andrews FifeScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 109 of 1431966Woodmarsh for Dr Frame FlintKinnesswood FifeScotland 
Item 110 of 1431967Farmhouse, Newton of KingsdaleBalbirnie FifeScotland 
Item 111 of 1431969Abbotshall ChurchKirkcaldy FifeScotlandReconstruction
Item 112 of 1431969RuffletsSt Andrews FifeScotlandHouse added in grounds
Item 113 of 1431969St Andrews Town HallSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction
Item 114 of 1431969University of S Andrews, Biochemistry BuildingSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 115 of 1431969University of St Andrews, Life Sciences buildingSt Andrews Fife  
Item 116 of 1431969Youth CentreSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 117 of 1431970sUniversity of St Andrews, St Mary's CollegeSt Andrews FifeScotlandAddition of mansard roof to accommodate Psychology Department
Item 118 of 1431970Sheltered housing, KirkhillSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 119 of 1431976Dwelling house, South StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandRefurbishment
Item 120 of 143Before 1981Alliance Building Society officeSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 121 of 143Before 1981Balmain FarmhouseLeven FifeScotland 
Item 122 of 143Before 1981Central garageSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 123 of 143Before 1981Director's residence for Low & Bonar  DundeeScotland 
Item 124 of 143Before 1981FlatsSt Andrews FifeScotlandSubdivision
Item 125 of 143Before 1981FlatsSt Andrews FifeScotlandSubdivision
Item 126 of 143Before 1981FlatsSt Andrews FifeScotlandSubdivision
Item 127 of 143Before 1981Gibson HospitalSt Andrews FifeScotlandAlterations and additions?
Item 128 of 143Before 1981Housing, Fisherman's CourtCellardyke FifeScotland 
Item 129 of 143Before 1981Kilconquhar ManseKilconquhar FifeScotland 
Item 130 of 143Before 1981Office for Central MotorsSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 131 of 143Before 1981Pagan Osborne & Grace officeSt Andrews FifeScotlandAlterations?
Item 132 of 143Before 1981Pagan Osborne & Grace officeCupar FifeScotland 
Item 133 of 143Before 1981Pagan Osborne & Grace officeAnstruther FifeScotlandAlterations?
Item 134 of 143Before 1981Private housing, BroomfauldsSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 135 of 143Before 1981Private housing, Regal siteAnstruther FifeScotland 
Item 136 of 143Before 1981Restaurant and shop for Mr PalompoSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 137 of 143Before 1981Rusack's HotelSt Andrews FifeScotlandModernisation
Item 138 of 143Before 1981West Port GarageSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 139 of 143198272 North StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandRefurbishment and conversion to dental surgery.
Item 140 of 1431982Block of buildings, Market StreetSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 141 of 1431993John Coupar CourtSt Andrews Fife  
Item 142 of 1431995Coachman's HouseCeres Fife  
Item 143 of 1431996LibraryFalkland Fife  

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Bailey, Rebecca M1996Scottish architects' papers: a source book Edinburgh: The Rutland Presspp116-7
Item 2 of 2Pride, Glen L1999The Kingdom of Fife2nd EditionThe Rutland Pressp88, p94, p124, p128, p129, p132, p135, p137

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Personal information from Glen L Pride