© All rights reserved. Courtesy of Glen Pride 

Larger versions of these images are located at the foot of the page.

Basic Biographical Details

Name: Frank Pride
Designation: Architect
Born: 28 March 1896
Died: 22 January 1970
Bio Notes: Frank Pride was born on 28 March 1896, the son of Robert F L Pride, secretary of the linen and jute firm of Cox Brothers, and later (from 1921) of Jute Industries. The family then lived at Rosebank, Errol, but moved to 4 Oakwood Terrace, West Park Road, Dundee in 1913.

Frank Pride was articled to Leslie Ower (a family friend) and his partner David Lindsay Allan in July 1912, attending Patrick Hill Thoms's classes at Dundee Technical College from 1913. His training was interrupted by war service with the Royal Engineers from 1916. He was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant and was awarded the Military Cross for constructing, under enemy fire, a fort bridge over the Escaut River in the Schildt in October 1918. On his return in 1919 he joined Thoms's firm of Thoms & Wilkie at 21 South Tay Street, Dundee, which had taken over the Ower & Allan firm on Leslie Ower's death in 1916.

In 1925, by which time Wilkie had effectively retired from practice, Pride was sent to St Andrews to take over the practice of Captain William Walker who had died in February: like Wilkie's, Walker's family had belonged to the parish of Longforgan and he had commenced practice in St Andrews because of his marriage to Jenny Reid McCririck who lived there. Since Wilkie was also then living in St Andrews it seems that she had turned to Thoms & Wilkie as friends to wind the practice up. Pride completed the work in hand to Thoms's entire satisfaction, supervised the construction of Thoms & Wilkie's County Buildings in Cupar and had begun to attract new business but Thoms had no interest in continuing the St Andrews branch office. This resulted in Pride commencing practice on his own account in April 1927, and merging it with the long-established practice of William Hill Walker (who was not related to Captain Walker, and who had continued the St Andrews business of Hall & Henry under his own name after the First World War, both Hall and Henry being deceased) as Walker & Pride in the same year. A branch office was opened at 8 Catherine Street, Cupar in 1930. Pride was admitted LRIBA in late 1931, his proposers being Thoms, William Salmond who was then president of the Dundee Institute of Architects, and the then secretary of the same Institute. His office address at that date was in Church Square, St Andrews, and he was living at 28 Lamond Drive.

William Hill Walker was more than comfortably off and his approach to business was somewhat relaxed. In 1933 Frank Pride bought out his partnership, continuing the practice as sole partner, but retaining the practice title of Walker & Pride. Between 1934 and 1939 he supplied all the architectural work for the St Andrews Building Company. The office was closed in September 1939 when Pride was re-commissioned in the Royal Engineers and was in charge of a bomb disposal squad during the Merseyside blitz. He was invalided out late in 1940 and did not recover sufficiently to reopen the practice until on 1942.

In 1953 Frank Pride's son Glen L Pride was taken into partnership and the office moved to the former Conservative Club at Mercat House, 1 Church Street, St Andrews, but because of national service Glen did not return to the office until 1955. Frank was elected FRIBA in April 1957, proposed by Andrew David Haxton, John Needham and Arthur Francis Stevenson Wright. besides the other work listed separately, Frank's Fellowship Nomination Paper mentions private and local authority housing undertaken by the practice in the 1950s and commercial and industrial premises, locations of which we do not know.

Frank retired in 1966 and died on 22 January 1970, leaving his son as sole partner.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 6Cupar, Fife, ScotlandBusiness1927 Branch office
Item 2 of 628, Lamond Drive, St Andrews, Fife, ScotlandPrivate19271935 
Item 3 of 6Church Square, St Andrews, Fife, ScotlandBusiness19271953Main office
Item 4 of 6Grayarl, Kinnessburn Road, St Andrews, Fife, ScotlandPrivate19351966 
Item 5 of 61, Church Street, St Andrews, Fife, ScotlandBusiness19531966 
Item 6 of 6Pinmore/72, Hepburn Gardens, St Andrews, Fife, ScotlandPrivate19661970 

Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4Leslie Ower & AllanJuly 19121916Apprentice 
Item 2 of 4Thoms & Wilkie19191925Apprentice(?) 
Item 3 of 4Thoms & Wilkie1925April 1927ArchitectIn charge of branch office in St Andrews
Item 4 of 4Walker & Pride19271966Partner 

RIBA

RIBA Proposers

The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 5Andrew David HaxtonApril 1957For Fellowship
Item 2 of 5John NeedhamApril 1957For Fellowship
Item 3 of 5William SalmondLate 1931for Licentiateship
Item 4 of 5Patrick Hill ThomsLate 1931for Licentiateship
Item 5 of 5Arthur Francis Stevenson WrightApril 1957For Fellowship

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 1151921Ten houses for Leslie Town CouncilLeslie FifeScotland 
Item 2 of 11519271 Middleshade RoadSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 3 of 1151927House for Cupar District Committee of the County CouncilParbroath FifeScotland 
Item 4 of 1151927Links HouseSt Andrews FifeScotlandAlterations
Item 5 of 11519281 Glamis Drive  DundeeScotland 
Item 6 of 11519283 Middleshade RoadSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 7 of 1151928Forty houses, Maryfield, for Leslie Town CouncilLeslie FifeScotland 
Item 8 of 1151928Tenement and shop at corner of South Street and Church StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction of shop at no 107
Item 9 of 1151929BaidlandsSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 10 of 1151930sHousing for County CouncilTayport Fife  
Item 11 of 115193033 South StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction of shop
Item 12 of 1151930Adamson HospitalCupar FifeScotlandNew X-ray and Sterilizing Departments
Item 13 of 1151930Eighty-four houses, Priestden Park, for Town CouncilSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 14 of 1151930Links HouseSt Andrews FifeScotlandConversion to clubhouse
Item 15 of 1151930Police StationNewburgh FifeScotland 
Item 16 of 1151930Police StationEast Wemyss FifeScotland 
Item 17 of 1151930St Andrews Co-operative Society, South StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandNew outfitting department on three floors, including first elevator in the town
Item 18 of 115After 1930Cambo House  FifeScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 19 of 115193113 Buchanan GardensSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 20 of 11519315 and 7 Priestden RoadSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 21 of 115193165 South StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction of shop
Item 22 of 1151931BalcreeSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 23 of 1151931Shopfront for Mitchell, butchers, Market StreetSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 24 of 1151932Bay Tea RoomsSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction and additions
Item 25 of 1151932Cottages for Local AuthorityDunshelt/Cupar Muir FifeScotland 
Item 26 of 1151932EdgewoodSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 27 of 1151932Forty-six houses for Burgh CouncilSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 28 of 1151932Houses for Fife County CouncilPitlessie FifeScotland 
Item 29 of 1151932Houses for Fife County CouncilSpringfield, Cupar FifeScotland 
Item 30 of 1151932Houses, Boase Avenue, for Town CouncilSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 31 of 1151932Houses, Kinnessburn Road, for Town CouncilSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 32 of 1151932Housing for Fife County CouncilStrathmiglo FifeScotland 
Item 33 of 1151932Housing for Fife County CouncilKingskettle FifeScotland 
Item 34 of 1151932Housing for Fife County CouncilNewton of Falkland FifeScotland 
Item 35 of 1151932New premises for Cupar & District Co-operative Society, BonnygateCupar FifeScotland 
Item 36 of 1151933Crossgate Printing WorksCupar FifeScotlandExtensive reconstruction and additions
Item 37 of 115After 1933Balcarres HouseColinsburgh FifeScotlandVarious works on estate
Item 38 of 115After 1933Crawford Priory  FifeScotlandVarious works on estate
Item 39 of 115After 1933Feddinch HouseCameron FifeScotlandEmployed on various works on estate
Item 40 of 115After 1933Largo HouseLargo FifeScotlandVarious work on estate
Item 41 of 115After 1933Mountquhannie EstateKilmany FifeScotlandVarious works on estate
Item 42 of 115After 1933Tayfield HouseNewport-on-Tay FifeScotlandVarious works on estate
Item 43 of 115After 19341-5 Lawhead Road EastSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 44 of 115After 193430 and 32 Buchanan GardensSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 45 of 115After 193453-59 Hepburn GardensSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 46 of 115After 19346 and 8 Strathkinness High RoadSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 47 of 115After 1934Bungalows in Kinkell Terrace for the St Andrews Building CompanySt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 48 of 115After 1934Bungalows in Priestden Park for the St Andrews Building CompanySt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 49 of 115After 1934Houses in Kinnessburn Road for the St Andrews Building CompanySt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 50 of 115After 1934Houses in St Mary's Street for the St Andrews Building CompanySt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 51 of 115After 1934Rathelpie Villa, RathelpieSt Andrews FifeScotlandConversion into flats
Item 52 of 115After 1934The DunesSt Andrews FifeScotlandConversion into flats
Item 53 of 1151935Adamson HospitalCupar FifeScotlandWest addition. Nurses home.
Item 54 of 1151935Houses and flats, Muttoes Lane, for Town CouncilSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 55 of 1151935Housing for Fife County CouncilLeuchars FifeScotland 
Item 56 of 1151935Housing, Lamond Drive site, for Town CouncilSt Andrews FifeScotlandIn association with J C Cunningham?
Item 57 of 1151935Kinburn HouseSt Andrews FifeScotlandAlterations
Item 58 of 1151936Eight houses for Fife County CouncilWindygates FifeScotland 
Item 59 of 1151936Housing for Fife County CouncilStrathmiglo FifeScotland 
Item 60 of 1151936Tenement for Tayport Town CouncilTayport FifeScotland 
Item 61 of 1151937108 housesMethilhill FifeScotland 
Item 62 of 1151937Houses for Fife County CouncilGateside Fife  
Item 63 of 1151937Twenty houses for Fife County CouncilLeuchars FifeScotland 
Item 64 of 1151938CloverleaSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 65 of 1151938One hundred and eight houses for the County CouncilMethil FifeScotland 
Item 66 of 1151938Police houseKingskettle FifeScotland 
Item 67 of 1151938Twenty houses and teacher's house for Fife County CouncilColinsburgh FifeScotland 
Item 68 of 1151938Twenty houses for County CouncilFreuchie FifeScotland 
Item 69 of 1151938Twenty-two houses for Fife County CouncilLower Largo FifeScotland 
Item 70 of 115194416 central kitchens for school meals  FifeScotland 
Item 71 of 1151944Adamson HospitalCupar FifeScotlandMaternity wing
Item 72 of 1151946Housing for SSHAKennoway FifeScotland 
Item 73 of 1151946Kennoway Shopping CentreKennoway FifeScotland 
Item 74 of 1151946NetherleaWest Newport FifeScotlandConversion into Netherlea Maternity Hospital.
Item 75 of 1151947Adamson HospitalCupar FifeScotlandNew kitchen
Item 76 of 1151947Housing, DevillaTulliallan, Glendevon FifeScotland 
Item 77 of 1151948Kinglassie Colliery, pithead baths, medical treatment centre, canteen etcKinglassie FifeScotlandPithead baths
Item 78 of 115194924 College StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandRestoration and reconstruction
Item 79 of 1151950sBlocks of flatsTayport FifeScotland 
Item 80 of 1151950Dean's CourtSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction and restoration
Item 81 of 1151950Templehall Junior Secondary SchoolKirkcaldy FifeScotland 
Item 82 of 1151951Housing for Fife County CouncilKinglassie FifeScotland 
Item 83 of 1151951Housing for Fife County CouncilAuchtertool FifeScotland 
Item 84 of 1151951Housing for Fife County CouncilThornton FifeScotland 
Item 85 of 1151951Housing for Fife County CouncilCarnock FifeScotland 
Item 86 of 1151951Housing for Fife County CouncilTorryburn FifeScotland 
Item 87 of 1151951Housing for Fife County CouncilSaline Fife  
Item 88 of 1151951Housing for Fife County CouncilCrossford FifeScotland 
Item 89 of 1151951Housing, Hillend for Fife County CouncilKinglassie FifeScotland 
Item 90 of 1151953Conservative ClubSt Andrews FifeScotlandConversion to office on first floor and half of second flooring, and accommodation on rest of second and third floors
Item 91 of 1151954Madras College, South StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandMajor alterations and additions
Item 92 of 1151955Baker Lane housingSt Andrews FifeScotlandRedevelopment
Item 93 of 115195646, 48, 50 North StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction
Item 94 of 1151956Adamson HospitalCupar FifeScotlandNew 8-bed ward
Item 95 of 1151956House for the Misses HendersonWormit FifeScotland 
Item 96 of 1151956Stravithie HouseDunino FifeScotlandAlterations and east wing converted to flats
Item 97 of 1151956SwallowgaitSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction
Item 98 of 1151958House for G L PrideSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 99 of 1151958House for W H CraigClattohill, Blebo FifeScotlandInitial house
Item 100 of 115After 1958Bell- Pettigrew MuseumSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction from 1958 onwards
Item 101 of 115After 1958Bute Medical BuildingSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction from 1958 onwards
Item 102 of 115After 1958House for W H CraigClattohill, Blebo FifeScotlandAdditions including cottage
Item 103 of 115After 1958University of St Andrews, St Mary's CollegeSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction from 1958 onwards
Item 104 of 1151960House for Dr Douglas McIntoshKirkcaldy FifeScotland 
Item 105 of 1151960KenlygreenSt Andrews (near) FifeScotlandReconstruction
Item 106 of 1151962Seaquoin for Provost A W ScottElie FifeScotland 
Item 107 of 1151964St Leonard's Church and manseSt Andrews FifeScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 108 of 1151966Woodmarsh for Dr Frame FlintKinnesswood FifeScotland 
Item 109 of 1151967Farmhouse, Newton of KingsdaleBalbirnie FifeScotland 
Item 110 of 1151969Abbotshall ChurchKirkcaldy FifeScotlandReconstruction
Item 111 of 1151969RuffletsSt Andrews FifeScotlandHouse added in grounds
Item 112 of 1151969St Andrews Town HallSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction
Item 113 of 1151969University of S Andrews, Biochemistry BuildingSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 114 of 1151969University of St Andrews, Life Sciences buildingSt Andrews Fife  
Item 115 of 1151970Sheltered housing, KirkhillSt Andrews FifeScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Bailey, Rebecca M1996Scottish architects' papers: a source book Edinburgh: The Rutland Pressp116
Item 2 of 2RIBA1950The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951 London: Royal Institute of British Architects 

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 2Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Personal information from Glen L Pride
Item 2 of 2RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers L no3999 (box 19); F no5283 (Combined Box 68)

Images

© All rights reserved. Courtesy of Glen Pride 

© All rights reserved. Courtesy of Glen Pride