© All rights reserved.   

Larger versions of these images are located at the foot of the page.

Basic Site Details

Name: Rusack's Hotel
Town, district or village: St Andrews
City or county: Fife
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: B Listed
Grid ref:
Notes:  

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 2Rusack's Marine Hotel  
Item 2 of 2Russack's Hotel Incorrect spelling but sometimes referred to thus

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Hotel  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 2Pilmour LinksYes 
Item 2 of 2The LinksYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 1018861891 Central part
Item 2 of 101891  Additions
Item 3 of 101893  Addition of north section, to The Links
Item 4 of 101900  Addition of porch
Item 5 of 101911  Addition of south section, to Pilmour Links
Item 6 of 10March 1925  Plans for additions to oriel windows
Item 7 of 101933  New lavatory and new telephone kiosk in hall
Item 8 of 101935  Reopen slapping of wall between smoke lounge and lounge
Item 9 of 101936  New bathroom accomodation and new dining room, alterations etc; new garage, petrol pumps and lockups
Item 10 of 10Before 1981 Alterations and additionsModernisation

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 20David HenryArchitectA18861891Central part
Item 2 of 20Hall & HenryArchitectural practiceA18861891Central part
Item 3 of 20Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceB1891 Additions - though plans may actually be by Hall & Henry
Item 4 of 20James ScottArchitectB1891 Additions - though plans may actually be by Hall & Henry
Item 5 of 20David HenryArchitectC1892(?)1893Addition of north section, to The Links
Item 6 of 20Hall & HenryArchitectural practiceC1892(?)1893Addition of north section, to The Links
Item 7 of 20Henry Cox McCullochArchitectC1892 Addition of north section, to The Links - as assistant to David Henry
Item 8 of 20John MilneArchitect 1900 Addition of porch
Item 9 of 20David HenryArchitectD1911 Addition of south section, to Pilmour Links
Item 10 of 20Hall & HenryArchitectural practiceD1911 Addition of south section, to Pilmour Links
Item 11 of 20Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceEMarch 1925 Plans for additions to oriel windows
Item 12 of 20James ScottArchitectEMarch 1925 Plans for additions to oriel windows
Item 13 of 20Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceF1933 New lavatory and new telephone kiosk in hall
Item 14 of 20James ScottArchitectF1933 New lavatory and new telephone kiosk in hall
Item 15 of 20Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceG1935 Reopen slapping of wall between smoke lounge and lounge
Item 16 of 20James ScottArchitectG1935 Reopen slapping of wall between smoke lounge and lounge
Item 17 of 20Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceH1936 New bathroom accomodation and new dining room, alterations etc; new garage, petrol pumps and lockups
Item 18 of 20James ScottArchitectH1936 New bathroom accomodation and new dining room, alterations etc; new garage, petrol pumps and lockups
Item 19 of 20Glen Lorimer PrideArchitectSBefore 1981 Modernisation
Item 20 of 20Walker & PrideArchitectural practiceSBefore 1981 Modernisation

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Rusack, William 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 5Cant, Ronald Gordon1979Public Buildings of St Andrews St Andrews Preservation Trust Annual Report, 1979p 14
Item 2 of 5Evetts, Robin1988Architectural Expansion and Redevelopment in St Andrews, 1810-c.1894 Unpublished PhD thesis, University of St Andrewsp 209
Item 3 of 5Frew, J (ed.)1984Building for a New Age St Andrews: Crawford Centre for the Arts, University of St Andrews (undated but pub. 1984)p 42
Item 4 of 5Pride, Glen L1999The Kingdom of Fife2nd EditionThe Rutland Pressp134
Item 5 of 5RIBA1981Directory of Practices 1981   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 5Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register45916 
Item 2 of 5Messrs Walker & Pride architectsDavid Henry, 'Business Book, 1884-1914'  
Item 3 of 5RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers Henry Cox McCulloch: L v14 no995
Item 4 of 5St Andrews University LibraryJames Gillespie and Scott Archive Bundle nos 1800, 2235, 2333, 2368, 2463, 2463A, 2467, 2486
Item 5 of 5St Andrews University LibrarySt Andrews Dean of Guild Plans  

Images

© All rights reserved.   

© All rights reserved.