Basic Biographical Details

Name: William Hill Walker
Designation: Architect
Born: c. 1875
Died: After 1955
Bio Notes: William Hill Walker was born c.1875, the son of James Walker, farmer of Kingsbarns and his wife Jessie, later of Dauphinhill, Greenside Place, St Andrews where he went after he retired. He was an assistant with Hall & Henry of Church Square, St Andrews when he was taken into partnership by David Henry, the surviving partner of the practice, in 1913, but Henry died in the following year and Walker enlisted for war service. Although an architect and a man of means, Walker seems to have preferred to serve in the line. He was promoted sergeant in the 1/7th Black Watch in 1919 and was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre for his role in the advance on Ypres in the previous year.

When the office, still at Church Square, was reopened in 1918 it was in the name of William Hill Walker only. His practice at first consisted mainly of police stations and houses and domestic work, mainly alterations.

In 1927 Walker took into partnership Frank Pride, previously of Thoms & Wilkie, who had been sent to St Andrews in 1925 to take over the practice of the completely unrelated Captain William Walker who had died in February 1923, and had commenced practice on his own account in April that year. A branch office was opened at 8 Catherine Street, Cupar in 1930.

Walker was more than comfortably off and his approach to business was somewhat relaxed. In 1933 he retired early, being bought out by Pride, who continued the practice as sole partner but retained the practice title of Walker & Pride. Walker thereafter spent much of his time on the bowling green and on church business as an elder of St Leonard's Church from 1933 and as its session clerk, 1934-55 (a post he had previously held in 1909-15). The painter Ada Hill Walker (1879-1955) was his youngest sister.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 3Church Square, St Andrews, Fife, ScotlandBusiness  Main office
Item 2 of 31 Westview, Ladebraes Lane, St Andrews, Fife, ScotlandPrivate   
Item 3 of 38, Catherine Street, Cupar, Fife, ScotlandBusiness1930 Branch office

Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3Hall & Henry1913February 1914Partner 
Item 2 of 3Hall & HenryBefore 19131913Assistant 
Item 3 of 3Walker & Pride19271933Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 451921Links HouseSt Andrews FifeScotlandAlterations
Item 2 of 451921Ten houses for Leslie Town CouncilLeslie FifeScotland 
Item 3 of 45192454 Hepburn GardensSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 4 of 451925Police Constable's houseThornton FifeScotland 
Item 5 of 451925Police Constable's houseWindygates FifeScotland 
Item 6 of 451925Police Constable's House, ChapelKirkcaldy (near) FifeScotland 
Item 7 of 451925Police StationLeslie FifeScotland 
Item 8 of 451925Police StationKincardine-on-Forth FifeScotland 
Item 9 of 4519271 Middleshade RoadSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 10 of 451927House for Cupar District Committee of the County CouncilParbroath FifeScotland 
Item 11 of 451927Links HouseSt Andrews FifeScotlandAlterations
Item 12 of 4519281 Glamis Drive  DundeeScotland 
Item 13 of 4519283 Middleshade RoadSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 14 of 451928Forty houses, Maryfield, for Leslie Town CouncilLeslie FifeScotland 
Item 15 of 451929BaidlandsSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 16 of 451930Adamson HospitalCupar FifeScotlandNew X-ray and Sterilizing Departments
Item 17 of 451930Eighty-four houses, Priestden Park, for Town CouncilSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 18 of 451930Links HouseSt Andrews FifeScotlandConversion to clubhouse
Item 19 of 451930Police StationNewburgh FifeScotland 
Item 20 of 451930Police StationEast Wemyss FifeScotland 
Item 21 of 45193113 Buchanan GardensSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 22 of 4519315 and 7 Priestden RoadSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 23 of 451931BalcreeSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 24 of 451931Shopfront for Mitchell, butchers, Market StreetSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 25 of 451932Bay Tea RoomsSt Andrews FifeScotlandReconstruction and additions
Item 26 of 451932Cottages for Local AuthorityDunshelt/Cupar Muir FifeScotland 
Item 27 of 451932EdgewoodSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 28 of 451932Forty-six houses for Burgh CouncilSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 29 of 451932Houses for Fife County CouncilPitlessie FifeScotland 
Item 30 of 451932Houses for Fife County CouncilSpringfield, Cupar FifeScotland 
Item 31 of 451932Houses, Kinnessburn Road, for Town CouncilSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 32 of 451932Housing for Fife County CouncilStrathmiglo FifeScotland 
Item 33 of 451932Housing for Fife County CouncilKingskettle FifeScotland 
Item 34 of 451932Housing for Fife County CouncilNewton of Falkland FifeScotland 
Item 35 of 451932New premises for Cupar & District Co-operative Society, BonnygateCupar FifeScotland 
Item 36 of 451933Crossgate Printing WorksCupar FifeScotlandExtensive reconstruction and additions
Item 37 of 451935Kinburn HouseSt Andrews FifeScotlandAlterations
Item 38 of 451936Eight houses for Fife County CouncilWindygates FifeScotland 
Item 39 of 451936Tenement for Tayport Town CouncilTayport FifeScotland 
Item 40 of 451937Twenty houses for Fife County CouncilLeuchars FifeScotland 
Item 41 of 451938One hundred and eight houses for the County CouncilMethil FifeScotland 
Item 42 of 451938Police houseKingskettle FifeScotland 
Item 43 of 451938Twenty houses and teacher's house for Fife County CouncilColinsburgh FifeScotland 
Item 44 of 451938Twenty houses for County CouncilFreuchie FifeScotland 
Item 45 of 451938Twenty-two houses for Fife County CouncilLower Largo FifeScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Bailey, Rebecca M1996Scottish architects' papers: a source book Edinburgh: The Rutland Pressp116

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Personal information from Glen L Pride.