© All rights reserved.   

Larger versions of these images are located at the foot of the page.

Basic Site Details

Name: Conservative Club
Town, district or village: St Andrews
City or county: Fife
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: B Listed
Grid ref:
Notes:  

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 2Mercat House From 1953
Item 2 of 2Walker & Pride offices From 1953

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 2Club  
Item 2 of 2Office(?)  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 21, Church StreetYes 
Item 2 of 274-76, Market StreetYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 51873  Building dated
Item 2 of 51892  Reconstruction
Item 3 of 51911  Alterations to new bar
Item 4 of 51953  Conversion to office on first floor and half of second flooring, and accommodation on rest of second and third floors
Item 5 of 5After 1966  Remodelling as office and four flats

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 8John MilneArchitect 1873  
Item 2 of 8James Ross GillespieArchitectB1892 Reconstruction
Item 3 of 8James ScottArchitectB1892 Reconstruction
Item 4 of 8Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceC1911 Alterations to new bar
Item 5 of 8James Ross GillespieArchitectC1911 Alterations to new bar
Item 6 of 8James ScottArchitectC1911 Alterations to new bar
Item 7 of 8Frank PrideArchitectD1953 Conversion to office on first floor and half of second flooring, and accommodation on rest of second and third floors
Item 8 of 8Walker & PrideArchitectural practiceD1953 Conversion to office on first floor and half of second flooring, and accommodation on rest of second and third floors

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 2Laverock, the late John 
Item 2 of 2Pride, Frank - architect, of Walker & Pride1953 conversion - for Walker & Pride offices and as his own house

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 5Cant, Ronald Gordon1967St Andrews Architects, II St Andrews Preservation Trust Annual Report, 1967p 16
Item 2 of 5Cant, Ronald Gordon1991St Andrews Architects Three decades of historical notes (Revised text), St Andrewsp 29
Item 3 of 5Frew, J (ed.)1984Building for a New Age St Andrews: Crawford Centre for the Arts, University of St Andrews (undated but pub. 1984)p 31
Item 4 of 5Pride, Glen L1990The Kingdom of Fife Edinburgh: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotlandp 132
Item 5 of 5Pride, Glen L1999The Kingdom of Fife2nd EditionThe Rutland Pressp132

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register40744 
Item 2 of 3Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Information from Glen L Pride
Item 3 of 3St Andrews University LibraryJames Gillespie and Scott Archive Bundle nos 279 and 1249

Images

© All rights reserved.   

© All rights reserved.