Basic Site Details

Name: Stravithie House
Town, district or village: Dunino
City or county: Fife
Country: Scotland
Parish: Dunino
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Tradesmen for 1865-67 house: Clerk of works Robert Dalrymple at 2 per week; Mason James Swan, Cupar, contract 880 and 114 15s 4d for work beyond contracts.

Total contract: 2167 10s

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Wakefield Original name of house

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 10After 1806Before 1827Alteration/conversionEnlarged from 18th century house for High Cleghorn senior
Item 2 of 1018651867Build/construction 
Item 3 of 101866  Original house - date of original plans
Item 4 of 101880s  Sketch for gents' lavatory
Item 5 of 101892  Enlargement
Item 6 of 1018961897AdditionAdditions - new wing
Item 7 of 101899  Plan of ground; new lavatory in basement and covering of kitchen court
Item 8 of 101908  Proposed cloakroom and turret stair alterations
Item 9 of 101919  Plan of retaining wall and sluice
Item 10 of 101956  Alterations and east wing converted to flats

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 18John ChesserArchitectJ18651867Rebuilt after becoming dilapidated over original cellarage
Item 2 of 18James Ross GillespieArchitectB1880s Gents' lavatory
Item 3 of 18James ScottArchitectB1880s Gents' lavatory - as assistant
Item 4 of 18James Ross GillespieArchitectC1892 Enlargement
Item 5 of 18James ScottArchitectC1892 Enlargement - as assistant to James Ross Gillespie (and effectively in charge of design for the practice)
Item 6 of 18Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceD18961897Additions - new wing
Item 7 of 18James Ross GillespieArchitectD18961897Additions - new wing
Item 8 of 18James ScottArchitectD18961897Additions - new wing
Item 9 of 18Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceE1899 Plan of ground; new lavatory in basement and covering of kitchen court
Item 10 of 18James Ross GillespieArchitectE1899 Plan of ground; new lavatory in basement and covering of kitchen court
Item 11 of 18James ScottArchitectE1899 Plan of ground; new lavatory in basement and covering of kitchen court
Item 12 of 18Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceF1908 Proposed cloakroom and turret stair alterations
Item 13 of 18James Ross GillespieArchitectF1908 Proposed cloakroom and turret stair alterations
Item 14 of 18James ScottArchitectF1908 Proposed cloakroom and turret stair alterations
Item 15 of 18Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceG1919 Plan of retaining wall and sluice
Item 16 of 18James ScottArchitectG1919 Plan of retaining wall and sluice
Item 17 of 18Frank PrideArchitectH1956 Alterations and east wing converted to flats
Item 18 of 18Walker & PrideArchitectural practiceH1956 Alterations and east wing converted to flats

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 2Cleghorn, Dr Hugh F COriginal client. Also client 1899 plan?
Item 2 of 2Sprott, Colonel AlexanderClient for additions in 1880s, 1896, 1899, 1908 etc

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Historic Scotland Lists     
Item 2 of 2Noltie, Henry2016Indian Forester, Scottish Laird: the Botanical Livers of Hugh Cleghorn of Stravithie Edinburgh: Royal Botanic Gardenpp177-178, photo of house as first built

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3Courtesy of Glen PrideInformation sent to DMW Sent 2006
Item 2 of 3Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register4318 
Item 3 of 3St Andrews University LibraryJames Gillespie and Scott Archive Bundles nos 510, 528, 538, 868, 963 and 978 (original 1866 plans of house), 1014, 1088, 1580