Basic Biographical Details

Name: Robert Samson Ingram
Designation: Architect
Born: 5 May 1841(?)
Died: 6 October 1915(?)
Bio Notes: Robert Samson Ingram was born at Kilmarnock on 5 May 1841, the eldest son of James Ingram of Kilmarnock and his wife Mary Samson: he was the younger brother of William Ingram. Robert was sent to London to gain experience. He seems to have studied under Professor Thomas Leverton Donaldson (who had Ayrshire connections at Williamshaw) at University College as he proposed him for associate membership of the RIBA, for which he was admitted on 26 March 1866 (lapsed c.1883). At that date Robert's address was 1 Westminster Chambers, indicating that he was an assistant of Charles Barry Junior who was another signatory to his nomination paper, the third being James Thomson. By 1868 he had joined his brother William at West Regent Street, Glasgow, but subsequently moved to Kilmarnock to join his father, the Kilmarnock practice becoming J & R S Ingram. In July 1879 James died, the firm being restyled W & R S Ingram by August 1879, although some jobs were being carried out under the name of J & R S Ingram in the 1880s. Although the practice built for all denominations, the RC archdiocese of Glasgow was an important client in the 1880s.

Robert Samson Ingram was probably responsible for the design of his father's Kilmarnock Corn Exchange even though he was in London at the time as its sophisticated Renaissance treatment is clearly related to the Venetian Renaissance blocks he later built in John Finnie Street in partnership with his father. He was a very competent Gothic architect but his late work is somewhat perplexing as the work of one of the best-educated architects of his generation. In the Dick Institute, Kilmarnock, built in 1897-1901, he returned to his farther's neo-classical style of the 1840s and 1850s, the portico having the same narrow proportions as Craig House of 1835. His later baronial work was equally old fashioned but much less happily proportioned, his Ladykirk House of 1903 being still in the style of the 1870s.

William Ingram died at 6 Walmer Terrace, Govan on 4 February 1898: in 1906 Robert took David Morton Brown into partnership, the practice becoming Ingram & Brown. Robert Samson Ingram married Frances Hay Torrance. He died of heart disease on 6 October 1915 at The Grove, Mauchline, leaving moveable estate of £357 14s 6d. His death was reported by his partner David Morton Brown suggesting he had no near relatives left.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 5Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, ScotlandPrivate   
Item 2 of 51, Westminster Chambers, London, EnglandBusiness1866 *  
Item 3 of 5154, West Regent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness18681870At least for these dates
Item 4 of 5114, King Street, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, ScotlandBusiness1887 *  
Item 5 of 5The Grove, Mauchline, Ayrshire, ScotlandBusiness1915 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4Charles Barry (junior)1866 * Assistant 
Item 2 of 4J & R S IngramAfter 18681878 or 1879Partner 
Item 3 of 4W & R S IngramAugust 1879Before 1906PartnerDid Ingram and Brown practice under this name?
Item 4 of 4Ingram & Brown19061915Partner 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


RIBA

RIBA Proposers

The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 3Charles Barry (junior)26 March 1866for Associateship
Item 2 of 3Thomas Leverton Donaldson26 March 1866for Associateship
Item 3 of 3James Thomson26 March 1866for Associateship

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 90 Dean CastleKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandRestoration
Item 2 of 90After 186814 London RoadKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandRemodelling? - attribution by Craig McLelland, South Ayrshire Council.
Item 3 of 901869Bellgrove UP Church  GlasgowScotlandPerhaps involved?
Item 4 of 90Late 1860s(?)Woodstock CottageKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandHS attribution; HS gives date of m 65 but if attributiom is correct, the date must be slightly later (the partnership was not formed until between 1866 and 1868)
Item 5 of 901873Commercial building, John Finnie StreetKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 6 of 901874Garallan SchoolSkares AyrshireScotland 
Item 7 of 901874Hurlford Parish Church and manseHurlford AyrshireScotland 
Item 8 of 901874Lairdsland Primary SchoolKirkintilloch DunbartonshireScotland 
Item 9 of 901874Operetta HouseKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 10 of 901875New Cumnock Primary SchoolNew Cumnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 11 of 901875Our Lady and St Ninian RC ChurchNewton Stewart WigtownshireScotlandExecutant architect
Item 12 of 901875St Margaret'sJohnstone RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 13 of 90c. 1875Office building, West George StreetKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandHS attribution
Item 14 of 901876Bargeddie Parish Church and manseBargeddie LanarkshireScotland 
Item 15 of 901876Cumnock Public SchoolCumnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 16 of 901876Smith's Building, John Finnie StreetKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandHS attribution
Item 17 of 901876Symington SchoolSymington AyrshireScotland 
Item 18 of 901876Torrance Board SchoolTorrance StirlingshireScotland 
Item 19 of 901877Chapel behind Wellpark House (formerly St Peter's Seminary)Partick GlasgowScotland 
Item 20 of 901877Crosshouse Established Church and ManseCrosshouse, Kilmarnock AyrshireScotlandUnsuccessful competition design?
Item 21 of 901877Grange Free ChurchKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 22 of 901877RC School, East Shaw StreetGreenock RenfrewshireScotland?
Item 23 of 901878St Ninian's RC Church and SchoolGourock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 24 of 901879Bourtreehill House  AyrshireScotlandReconstruction after fire
Item 25 of 901879Burns MonumentKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 26 of 901879Burns MuseumKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 27 of 901879Galston Parish ChurchGalston AyrshireScotlandSW porch
Item 28 of 90Before 1879Dalmore HouseStair (near) AyrshireScotlandAttribution by Davis
Item 29 of 90188014-28 John Finnie StreetKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 30 of 901880Blackwood RC ChurchBlackwood Lanarkshire?Scotland 
Item 31 of 901882Glenbuck Parish ChurchGlenbuck AyrshireScotland 
Item 32 of 901882RC ChurchMuirkirk AyrshireScotland 
Item 33 of 901882St Mary's RC Church, IrvineIrvine AyrshireScotland 
Item 34 of 901882St Paul RC ChurchHurlford AyrshireScotlandOriginal building
Item 35 of 901882St Thomas RC Church and PresbyteryMuirkirk AyrshireScotlandPresbytery
Item 36 of 901882Wilson HallCatrine AyrshireScotland 
Item 37 of 9018831 Aitken StreetDalry AyrshireScotland 
Item 38 of 901883Balgreen FarmDalrymple AyrshireScotland 
Item 39 of 901883Public HallsDalry AyrshireScotland 
Item 40 of 901883Tenements, Park StreetKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 41 of 901883Terrace of tenements, North Hamilton StreetKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 42 of 901884Ossington Coffee TavernKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 43 of 901884Our Lady and St Anne RC ChurchCadzow LanarkshireScotland 
Item 44 of 901885Cumnock Town HallCumnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 45 of 901885Reformers' MonumentKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 46 of 901885St Marnock's Parish ChurchKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandRestoration
Item 47 of 901885Uddingston SchoolUddingston LanarkshireScotland 
Item 48 of 90c. 1885Villas, Dundonald RoadKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 49 of 901886Kilmarnock Corn ExchangeKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandAlterations and additions (8 bay addition to left of London Road facade)
Item 50 of 901886St Andrews Free ChurchKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandNew façade and tower interior largely rebuilt
Item 51 of 901887Arnsheen ChurchBarrhill AyrshireScotland 
Item 52 of 901887Conservative ClubKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 53 of 901887Darvel Central ChurchDarvel AyrshireScotland 
Item 54 of 901887Maybole Town HallMaybole AyrshireScotland 
Item 55 of 901887Victoria HallsHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotland 
Item 56 of 901888Building for the Kilmarnock Equitable Co-operative SocietyKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 57 of 901888Caldwell ChurchCaldwell RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 58 of 901888Kilmaurs ChurchKilmaurs AyrshireScotlandReconstruction
Item 59 of 901889Baird InstituteCumnock AyrshireScotlandMainly responsible
Item 60 of 901890Ossington Coffee TavernKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandAddition of 3 plainer pedimented bays
Item 61 of 901890St Andrews ChurchKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandChurch hall added
Item 62 of 901891Cumnock Graveyard, Monument to Prophet (Rev) Alexander PedenCumnock AyrshireScotlandRobert responsible for design
Item 63 of 901891Springside InstituteSpringside AyrshireScotland 
Item 64 of 901891Winton Place EU Church and hallKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandHall added
Item 65 of 901892Kilmarnock Infectious Diseases Hospital, BellefieldKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 66 of 901892Kirklandside HospitalKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 67 of 901892Weir InstituteLugar AyrshireScotland 
Item 68 of 901894Kilmarnock Cemetery, memorial to Walter LowKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 69 of 901894Unionist ClubTroon AyrshireScotland 
Item 70 of 90189511 (Glen Rosa), 13 and 15 High Glencairn RoadKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 71 of 90189530-38 John Finnie StreetKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 72 of 901895Corporation StablesKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 73 of 901896Kilmarnock AcademyKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 74 of 901897A M Brown InstituteCatrine AyrshireScotland 
Item 75 of 901897Auchinleck Barony ChurchAuchinleck AyrshireScotlandTower and transepts. Also pews.
Item 76 of 901897Darnconner Parish ChurchDarnconner AyrshireScotland 
Item 77 of 901897Dick InstituteKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandRebuilt after 1910 fire
Item 78 of 901897Fullerton Public SchoolTroon AyrshireScotland 
Item 79 of 901899Kilmarnock ClubKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 80 of 90Late 1800sDouble villa, 2,4 Loanhead StreetKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandHS attribution
Item 81 of 90Late 1800sSemi-detached villas, Portland RoadKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandHS attribution
Item 82 of 901901Kames Parish ChurchKames AyrshireScotland 
Item 83 of 901902Kames InstituteMuirkirk AyrshireSingapore 
Item 84 of 901902Loanhead Primary SchoolKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 85 of 901903Ladykirk HouseMonkton (near) AyrshireScotlandMansion house, and estate work
Item 86 of 901904Dundonald Parish ChurchDundonald AyrshireScotlandChancel added
Item 87 of 901907Villa, Dundonald RoadKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandStudio added to house
Item 88 of 901910Dean CastleKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandNew lodge
Item 89 of 901911Chirk CastleChirk, Wrexham DenbighshireWalesRestoration and alterations
Item 90 of 90c. 1912Dean CastleKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandLater stages of restoration in consultation with J S Richardson

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Post Office Directories     

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers A v4 p8 (microfiche 9/G3)