Basic Biographical Details

Name: W & R S Ingram
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1879
Ended: Before 1906(?)
Bio Notes: William and Robert Samson Ingram were the sons of James Ingram who set up practice in Kilmarnock c.1830: they were born c.1831 and 1841 respectively. Their mother was Mary Samson. In the mid-1860s William set up a branch office in Glasgow at 154 West Regent Street. Robert Samson Ingram was sent to London to gain experience. He seems to have studied under Professor Thomas Leverton Donaldson (who had Ayrshire connections at Williamshaw) at University College as he proposed him for Associate membership of the RIBA on 26 March 1866 (lapsed c.1883). At that date Robert's address was 1 Westminster Chambers, indicating that he was an assistant of Charles Barry Junior who was one of the signatories to his nomination paper. By 1868 Robert had joined William at West Regent Street, but subsequently moved to Kilmarnock to join his father, the Kilmarnock practice becoming J & R S Ingram. In July 1879 James retired or died, the firm being restyled W and R S Ingram by August. Some jobs were still being carried out under the title of J & R S Ingram in the 1880s, however.

William Ingram died at 6 Walmer Terrace, Govan on 4 February 1898. In 1906 Robert took David Morton Brown into partnership, the practice name becoming Ingram & Brown.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2154, West Regent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1877 *  
Item 2 of 2114, King Street, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, ScotlandBusinessBefore 1882After 1887 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2William IngramAugust 18791898Partner 
Item 2 of 2Robert Samson IngramAugust 1879Before 1906PartnerDid Ingram and Brown practice under this name?

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 621874Lairdsland Primary SchoolKirkintilloch DunbartonshireScotland 
Item 2 of 621875Our Lady and St Ninian RC ChurchNewton Stewart WigtownshireScotlandExecutant architects
Item 3 of 621875St Margaret'sJohnstone RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 4 of 621876Torrance Board SchoolTorrance StirlingshireScotland 
Item 5 of 621877Crosshouse Established Church and ManseCrosshouse, Kilmarnock AyrshireScotlandUnsuccessful competition design?
Item 6 of 621878St Ninian's RC Church and SchoolGourock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 7 of 621879Bourtreehill House  AyrshireScotlandReconstruction after fire
Item 8 of 621879Burns MonumentKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 9 of 621879Burns MuseumKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 10 of 621879(?)Dalmore HouseStair (near) AyrshireScotlandAttributed by Davis to J & R S Ingram, but by the time of construction the firm had become W & R S Ingram
Item 11 of 62188014-28 John Finnie StreetKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 12 of 621880Blackwood RC ChurchBlackwood Lanarkshire?Scotland 
Item 13 of 621880St Bridget's RC Presbytery  GlasgowScotlandWilliam Ingram responsible
Item 14 of 621882RC ChurchMuirkirk AyrshireScotland 
Item 15 of 621882St Mary's RC Church, IrvineIrvine AyrshireScotland 
Item 16 of 621882St Paul RC ChurchHurlford AyrshireScotlandOriginal building
Item 17 of 621882St Thomas RC Church and PresbyteryMuirkirk AyrshireScotlandPresbytery
Item 18 of 6218831 Aitken StreetDalry AyrshireScotland 
Item 19 of 621883Balgreen FarmDalrymple AyrshireScotland 
Item 20 of 621883Public HallsDalry AyrshireScotland 
Item 21 of 621883Tenements, Park StreetKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 22 of 621883Terrace of tenements, North Hamilton StreetKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 23 of 621884Ossington Coffee TavernKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 24 of 621884Our Lady and St Anne RC ChurchCadzow LanarkshireScotland 
Item 25 of 621885Cumnock Town HallCumnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 26 of 621885Reformers' MonumentKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 27 of 621885St Marnock's Parish ChurchKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandRestoration
Item 28 of 621885Uddingston SchoolUddingston LanarkshireScotland 
Item 29 of 62c. 1885Villas, Dundonald RoadKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 30 of 621886St Andrews Free ChurchKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandNew fašade and tower interior largely rebuilt
Item 31 of 621887Arnsheen ChurchBarrhill AyrshireScotland 
Item 32 of 621887Conservative ClubKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 33 of 621887Darvel Central ChurchDarvel AyrshireScotland 
Item 34 of 621887Maybole Town HallMaybole AyrshireScotland 
Item 35 of 621887Victoria HallsHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotland 
Item 36 of 621888Building for the Kilmarnock Equitable Co-operative SocietyKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 37 of 621888Caldwell ChurchCaldwell RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 38 of 621888Kilmaurs ChurchKilmaurs AyrshireScotlandReconstruction
Item 39 of 621889Baird InstituteCumnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 40 of 621891Cumnock Graveyard, Monument to Prophet (Rev) Alexander PedenCumnock AyrshireScotlandRobert responsible for design
Item 41 of 621891Springside InstituteSpringside AyrshireScotland 
Item 42 of 621891Winton Place EU Church and hallKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandHall added
Item 43 of 621892Kilmarnock Infectious Diseases Hospital, BellefieldKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 44 of 621892Kirklandside HospitalKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 45 of 621892Weir InstituteLugar AyrshireScotland 
Item 46 of 621893Caledonian Steel Foundry  GlasgowScotland 
Item 47 of 621893Stable and dormitory for Sorn Dairy Supply Co  GlasgowScotland 
Item 48 of 621894Kilmarnock Cemetery, memorial to Walter LowKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 49 of 621894Unionist ClubTroon AyrshireScotland 
Item 50 of 62189511 (Glen Rosa), 13 and 15 High Glencairn RoadKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 51 of 62189530-38 John Finnie StreetKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 52 of 621895Corporation StablesKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 53 of 621896Kilmarnock AcademyKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 54 of 621897A M Brown InstituteCatrine AyrshireScotland 
Item 55 of 621897Auchinleck Barony ChurchAuchinleck AyrshireScotlandTower and transepts. Also pews.
Item 56 of 621897Dick InstituteKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 57 of 621897Fullerton Public SchoolTroon AyrshireScotland 
Item 58 of 621899Kilmarnock ClubKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 59 of 62Late 1800s(?)Double villa, 2,4 Loanhead StreetKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandHS attribution to R S Ingram
Item 60 of 621902Kames InstituteMuirkirk AyrshireSingapore 
Item 61 of 621902Loanhead Primary SchoolKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 62 of 621904Dundonald Parish ChurchDundonald AyrshireScotlandChancel added

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Walker, Frank Arneil1986South Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide to Inverclyde and Renfrew  p57