Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||J & R S Ingram |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice, Engineer |
|Started: ||c. 1868 |
|Ended: ||July 1879 |
|Bio Notes: ||James Ingram was born in Kilmarnock in 1799 (christened 16 August) the son of Andrew Ingram and his wife Janet McMillan. He set up practice in Kilmarnock c.1830: prior to that he had married Mary Samson on 1 October at Sorn. In the mid-1860s he took his fourth son William (born c.1831) into partnership and set up a branch office in Glasgow at 154 West Regent Street. Another son, Robert Samson Ingram, born 5 May 1841 was sent to London to gain wider experience. He seems to have studied under Professor Thomas Leverton Donaldson (who had Ayrshire connections at Williamshaw) at University College as he proposed him for Associate membership of the RIBA on 26 March 1866 (lapsed c.1883). At that date Robert's address was 1 Westminster Chambers, indicating that he was an assistant of Charles Barry Junior who was one of the signatories to his nomination paper. By 1868 he had joined William at West Regent Street and been taken into partnership as W & R S Ingram, but subsequently Robert Samson moved to Kilmarnock to join his father, the Kilmarnock practice becoming J & R S Ingram, presumably leaving William to practice on his own in Glasgow. |
James Ingram commenced practice as a neo-classical and late Georgian Gothic designer. By the time he built Irvine Town Hall in 1859 his classical architecture had become an attenuated Italianate. With his Corn Exchange at Kilmarnock in 1862-63 it reached new levels of Italian Renaissance sophistication, but whether that relates to his son William of whose training nothing is known, or more probably to his son Robert is unclear: the latter was then in London as an assistant to Charles Barry Junior. James's later work was probably mainly designed by Robert.
James died on 27 July 1879 at Kilmarnock leaving moveable estate of £730 14s 9d. The practice was restyled W & R S Ingram by August, although some jobs were being carried out under the name of J & R S Ingram in the 1880s.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice, engineer:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|114, King Street, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland||Business||Before 1882||After 1888|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice, engineer. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.