Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||John James Joass |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1868 |
|Died: ||10 May 1955 |
|Bio Notes: ||John James Joass was born in Dingwall in 1868, and was the son of William Cumming Joass, architect there. After a short period of basic training in his father's office from 1883 to 1885, he was articled to John Burnet & Son in Glasgow, and studied at Glasgow School of Art. He remained there until 1890 when he moved to the office of Robert Rowand Anderson, from where he won the Pugin Studentship in 1892. The following year he moved to London to spend a year in the office of Ernest George & Peto, from which he transferred to that of Edward John May in October 1894. He passed the qualifying exam in that year and was awarded the Owen Jones studentship, enabling him to travel to Italy and Sicily, his travels prior to that date having been limited to Scotland and England. He was admitted ARIBA on 10 June 1895, his proposers being George, John McKean Brydon, and Allan Graham, whom he had known in Glasgow. |
Joass joined John Belcher's practice at 20 Hanover Square, London in 1896, briefly working with Arthur Beresford Pite, who left in 1897 to commence his own practice. Belcher took Joass into partnership in 1905.
Joass was elected FRIBA on 2 December 1912, proposed by Belcher, George and Reginald Blomfield. He continued the practice after Belcher's death in 1916.
Joass's chief hobby was sailing. He designed the latest vessel 'Macnab' himself; it was both a cruiser and ocean racer and was anchored at Poole Harbour.
Joass died on 10 May 1952 after a three-month illness. His practice was carried on by his assistant of many years H Bramwell and Leslie K Watson who had joined him more recently.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Dingwall, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland||Private||1868||1885|| |
|Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1883|| || |
|118, Mallinson Road, Wandsworth Common, London, England||Private||1895 *|| || |
|20, Hanover Square, London, England||Business||1896|| || |
|9, Clifford Street, London W, England||Business||1912 *|| || |
|18, Blenheim Road, London NW, England||Private||1912 *|| || |
|40, St James's Place, London, England||Business||1924(?)|| || |
|Poole, Devon, England||Private||Before 1952 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1905||Tapley Park||Instow|| ||Devon||England||Begun by Belcher alone prior to partnership; presumably completed by Joass after Belcher's death in 1913|
|1910||Westfield||Colinton|| ||Edinburgh||Scotland||Date approximate. May be earlier?|
|After 1920||Swan & Edgar department store|| || ||London||England||Rebuilding - in collaboration with Louis David Blanc|
|1922||Dingwall War Memorial||Dingwall|| ||Ross and Cromarty||Scotland|| |
|1928||Lex Garage|| || ||London||England||Responsible for design of corner tower|
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Architectural Review||November 1970|| || ||pp283-290|
|Builder||16 May 1952|| || ||Obituary|
|RIBA Journal||August 1952|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects||Obituary p386 (by Leslie Watson)|
|The Studio||1897||XI|| ||Article which John James Joass wrote and illustrated entitled 'The Scottish Formal Garden'|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||A v13 p43 (microfiche 60/A5); F v21 no1474 (microfilm reel 13)|