Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Belcher & Joass |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1905 |
|Ended: || |
|Bio Notes: ||John Belcher was born in Southwark, London on 10 July 1841. He was articled to his father, also John Belcher, in 1857, and remained in his office thereafter, with the exception of a period spent in the office of Richard Bell. His father took him into partnership in 1865, and he continued practising alone after his father's retirement in 1870. He subsequently worked in partnership with James Walter James, and with Arthur Beresford Pite from 1882 to 1897. He was admitted ARIBA on 13 December 1879 and elevated to FRIBA on 20 March 1882. |
In 1896 John James Joass joined Belcher as an assistant. Joass had been born in Dingwall in 1868, the son of architect William Cumming Joass. After a short period of basic training in his father's office from 1883 to 1885, he had been articled to John Burnet & Son in Glasgow, and had studied at Glasgow School of Art. He had remained there until 1890 when he had moved to the office of Robert Rowand Anderson, from where he had won the Pugin Studentship in 1892. The following year he had moved to London to spend a year in the office of Ernest George & Peto, from which he had transferred to that of Edward John May in October 1894. He had passed the qualifying exam in that year and been awarded the Owen Jones studentship, enabling him to travel to Italy and Sicily, his travels prior to that date having been limited to Scotland and England. He had been admitted ARIBA on 10 June 1895, his proposers being George, John McKean Brydon, and Allan Graham, whom he had known in Glasgow.
Pite left Belcher in 1897 to commence practice on his own account. Belcher took Joass into partnership eight years later, in 1905. Joass was elected FRIBA on 2 December 1912, proposed by Belcher, George and Reginald Blomfield.
Belcher became an Associate of the Royal Academy in 1900 and a full Academician in 1909. He was a founder of the Art Workers' Guild. He died in Camberwell, London on 8 November 1913. Joass continued the practice after his death. He died on 10 May 1952 after a three-month illness.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|London, England||Business|| || || |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1905||Tapley Park||Instow|| ||Devon||England||Begun by Belcher alone prior to partnership; presumably completed by Joass after Belcher's death in 1913|
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.