Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Francis Runcie Chalmers |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||24 February 1876 |
|Died: || |
|Bio Notes: ||Francis Runcie Chalmers was born on 24 February 1876 and articled to William Cumming Joass in Dingwall in 1895, remaining as assistant for three years after completing his apprenticeship and preparing working drawings of houses, shops, hotels, distilleries, farm buildings and other work. Whilst there he attended evening classes in Inverness. In 1903 he moved to London where he served as assistant first to John Belcher, providing detail drawings for a house in Oxford, and then to James Glen Sivewright Gibson, with whom he worked on competition designs for Chelsea Baths and Hull Library and on the detailing of Walsall Town Hall. His move also enabled him to study at the LCC School of Arts & Crafts and London Polytechnic. In 1904 he joined the LCC Architects Department, where he worked under William Edward Riley, principally on power stations, his role later involving the preparation of reports on planning applications. |
He was still with the LCC when he was admitted LRIBA on 24 June 1912, his proposers being John James Joass, John Belcher and James Glen Sivewright Gibson.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|2 Shalston Villas, Ewell Road, Surbiton Hill, Surrey, England||Private||1912 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||L v23 no1878|