Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||(Captain) Eric Sinclair Bell |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1 September 1884 |
|Died: ||15 March 1973 |
|Bio Notes: ||Eric Sinclair Bell was born at Warrington on 1 September 1884, the son of Colonel William Bell of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders and his wife Isabella Margaret Murray McGregor. He was articled to John Burnet & Son in 1903, concurrently studying at Glasgow School of Art. In May 1910 he proceeded to John James Burnet's London office. From 1912 to 1914 he gained experience with Smith & Brewer; Gibson, Skipwith & Gordon; Herbert Baker & Edwin Landseer Lutyens; and Sir Ernest George & Yates. He returned to Burnet's London office in May 1914. He visited Belgium, France and Switzerland before beginning war service in August of the same year, serving as Captain in the Gordon Highlanders, and was wounded at the Battle of Loos in September-October 1915. |
He returned from the war in March 1919 and practised in Stirling from September that year onwards. Rebecca Bailey states that in 1932 Bell joined Charles Greg in partnership as Greg & Bell. However exhaustive rsearch is unable to trace any sign of an architect under the name 'Charles Greg'. Greg is probably a misreading for Charles Henry Greig who worked in Stirling from at least 1914 if not earlier. He died in 1929 and it is very likely that Bell took over his practice at that date. Bell operated this from his house, Cranstonhill.
Bell was admitted LRIBA on 4 December 1933, his proposers being Francis Lorne, John Begg and A Nicol Bruce, the then secretary of the RIAS; and was elected FRIBA on 6 March 1939, proposed by Lorne, Thomas Smith Tait and Alexander Thomson Scott. During the Second World War, Bell was for a time commanding officer of the Air Training Corps, Stirling Squadron No.1019.
Bell was an etcher of architectural subjects as well as an architect, his nomination papers listing three published etchings: of Stirling Castle; Hanway Street, London; and the Granary Gates, London. He was architect to the Stirling Thistle Property Trust, and restored their buildings at the top of the town. He was the first President of the Stirling Society of Architects, and was a founder member of the Rotary Club of Stirling. He was also for many years a trustee of the Smith Art Gallery and Museum, and was instrumental in the formation of the Friends of the Smith in early 1973. In his private life Bell was a keen amateur golfer.
Bell died of a coronary thrombosis at his home on 15 March 1973. He was survived by his wife, Agnes Cuthill Mowbray.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Cranstonhill, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland||Private||Before 1933||After 1939|| |
|24, Allan Park, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland||Business||Before 1933||1973|| |
|The Oaks/108, Henderson Street, Bridge of Allan, Stirlingshire, Scotland||Business||1972|| || |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Bailey, Rebecca M||1996||Scottish architects' papers: a source book|| ||Edinburgh: The Rutland Press||p109|
|RIBA||1939||The RIBA Kalendar 1939-1940|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|RIBA||1950||The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Scotsman||28 May 1907|| || || |
|Scotsman||5 July 1907|| || || |
|Stirling Observer||21 March 1973|| || ||p 13 - obituary|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||L no4293 (combined box 6); F no3540 (box 25)|