Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Ernest George & Yeates |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1892 |
|Ended: || |
|Bio Notes: ||Ernest George was born in Southwark, London on 13 June 1839 and articled to the London architect Samuel Hewitt 1856-60. In 1857 he entered the Royal Academy Schools, winning its Gold Medal in 1859. For a few months in 1860-61 he was in the office of William Allen Boulnois before embarking on a sketching tour in France and Germany and setting up practice with another Royal Academy Schools student, Thomas Vaughan, born c. 1839, who had won three silver medals there. Vaughan died in 1874 and in 1876 George entered into a second partnership with Harold Ainsworth Pert, born at Somerteyton, Suffolk on 11 June 1854, son of Samuel Peto, railway contractor. Peto had originally trained as a joiner with Lucas Brothers, builders, before joining the office of John Louth Clemence at Lowerstoft for one year and Kerslake and Martiner for two years. After a study tour of Italy, Germany and France he briefly worked with his brothers' contracting firm, Peto Brothers, from 1875. Thereafter the practice was remarkably successful in part through Peto's connections. |
Ill health obliged Peto to withdraw from the partnership in 1892, although he went on to establish an equally important independent reputation as an architect of gardens. In the same year George formed a partnership with his chief assistant Alfred Bowman Yeates, who had been born in 1867 and was also a product of the Royal Academy Schools while articled to Arthur Cates.
George was awarded the Royal Gold Medal in 1896, belatedly elected ARA in 1910, knighted in 1911, and made RA in 1917. He died in London on 15 December 1922. Yeates retired in 1935 and died on 6 May 1944; Peto had died in April 1933.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|18, Maddox Street, London, England||Business||1892||After 1914|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1919||War Memorial, Berriedale||Berriedale|| ||Caithness||Scotland|| |
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.