Basic Biographical Details

Name: Gibson, Skipwith & Gordon
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1909
Ended: 1914 or 1915
Bio Notes: James Glen Sivewright Gibson was born in Arbroath on 23 November 1861 and was the brother of Robert Gibson, civil engineer and architect, Dundee. He was articled to Ireland & Maclaren, Dundee, from 1877 to 1881, and was thereafter a draughtsman with Pearce Brothers, engineers, and then with Alexander Hutcheson. He then moved to London and worked for William Wallace, Harry Wilkinson Moore, and finally Thomas Edward Collcutt. At some point he travelled in France and Italy before commencing practice and passing the qualifying exam, both in 1889. He was admitted ARIBA, his proposers being the Dundee architect John Murray Robertson, Collcutt and James Brooks. In 1890 he entered into partnership with Samuel Bridgman Russell, also from William Wallace's office. The partnership of Gibson and Russell was dissolved in 1899. Thereafter Gibson practised in partnership with William Wallace until 1909 when he took into partnership his two senior assistants, Frank Peyton Skipwith and Walter Symington Athol Gordon. Born in 1881, Skipwith was educated at Cheam School and Neuenheim College, Heidelberg, and articled to Gibson in 1903, remaining as an assistant and studying at the Architectural Association. He did not however take the qualifying exam and was admitted LRIBA on 20 March 1911. Gordon, born in 1879, had been articled to Robert Rowand Anderson 1895-1901 and had studied under Frank Worthington Simon at the Edinburgh School of Applied Art prior to joining Gibson. Like Skipwith, Gibson did not take the qualifying exam, being elected LRIBA on 27 February 1911.

Skipwith enlisted in the armed forces in the First World War and was killed in action in France in September 1915, the practice continuing as Gibson & Gordon thereafter.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 15, Old Bond Street, London, EnglandBusinessBefore 19111914 or 1915 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 6Oliver Frederick Savege1909Before 1914Draughtsman 
Item 2 of 6James Glen Sivewright Gibson19091914 or 1915Partner 
Item 3 of 6Frank Peyton Skipwith19091914 or 1915Partner 
Item 4 of 6Walter Symington Athol Gordon19091914 or 1915Partner 
Item 5 of 6James Mollison Wilson19101912 or 1913Assistant 
Item 6 of 6(Captain) Eric Sinclair BellAfter 1912Before 1914Assistant 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 2After 1909Ravleston Dykes Golf ClubhouseMurrayfield EdinburghScotlandUnspecified work on Crossways
Item 2 of 21913Mertoun HouseMertoun BerwickshireScotlandExtension to north (completed by Gibson & Gordon alone)

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.