Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||James Stevenson |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||10 November 1906 |
|Died: ||18 July 1991 |
|Bio Notes: ||James ('Jim') Stevenson was born on 10 November 1906, the son of William Stevenson, coal miner, and his wife Minnie Munnoch. He was articled to Eric Sinclair Bell of Stirling from 1922-27, during which period he attended architectural continuation classes at the High School of Stirling and was a gold medallist. he remained with Bell as chief assistant and as associate. |
He served with the Royal Engineers during the Second World War, as Civilian Garrison Engineer from 1939-43 in the Works Services (Scottish Command). From 1944-46 he was commissioned in the RE Corps and served as Garrison Engineer to the Military Engineer Services, Eastern Command, India Command and reached the rank of Captain. After the cease of hostilities he was re-employed as Civilian Garrison Engineer (Scottish Command) remaining in this post until 1950.
In that same year 1950 he joined Clackmannan County as 'principal assistant'. He went on a study tour of Denmark in 1954 under the auspices of the RIAS and the following year made a study of Germany. He was Depute County Architect by 1952 and was elected LRIBA in 1956, his proposers being Alexander Cullen, William McCrea and Eric Sinclair Bell. Before 1971 he had become County Architect of Clackmannanshire. He retired from this post in November of that year.
He was elected ARIAS in 1933 and FRIAS in 1938 serving as President of the Stirling Chapter and Vice-President of the RIAS. He was a Fellow of the Stirling Society of Architects by 1939-40 and his address at that date was 24 Allan Park, Stirling. He also edited the RIAS Quarterly from 1956 for many years.
He died in Randolph Hill Nursing Home, Leewood Drive, Dunblane which was also his permanent home, on 18 July 1991. His wife, Janet Gartshore Wilson, a secretary, had predeceased him.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|24, Allan Park, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland||Business||1939 or 1940 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1933||Bannockburn Chapel of Ease||Bannockburn|| ||Stirlingshire||Scotland||Vestry and kitchen added|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1939||The RIBA Kalendar 1939-1940|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|RIAS Newsletter||July 1991||v3, no2|| ||Obituary|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers||L 6658 (Box 152)|| |