Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||George Paterson |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||Early 1700s |
|Died: ||26 February 1789 |
|Bio Notes: ||George Paterson must have been born in the first quarter of the 18th century. He practised as an architect in Edinburgh, his first known works being in the 1750s. |
In 1758 he was elected a member of the Royal Company of Archers and in 1776 was a member of the committee for building Archer's Hall, Edinburgh.
He appears to have had a connection with Robert Mylne and superintended various buildings for which Mylne was the architect including St Cecilia's Hall in Edinburgh, Amisfield, East Lothian and possibly for some work at Pitlour, Fife. He seems to have had a close relationship with Francis Charteris, Earl of Wemyss as he had an arrangement by which he built houses on the west side of St John Street, Edinburgh, sharing the cost with Charteris. In 1784 the houses had not sold and Charteris was to occupy the lower floor and Paterson the upper floor.
Paterson owned a small estate at Monimail in Fife called Cunnochie. He worked for the Montrose estates in the 1770s; a receipt of 28 January 1771 by George Paterson for £15 15s indicates that he was paid 'for his trouble' when he spent four weeks at Buquanan [sic].
In a letter of 1770 he was 'looked upon to be the most reasonable and least expensive architect in this country'. In 1778 he discharged and renounced land on the east side of St Andrews Square in Edinburgh to John Hamilton of Bargeny of £845 1s 11d.
Paterson is not listed in Williamson's 'Directory of the City of Edinburgh' 1784-5, unlike John Paterson (who was probably his son).
Paterson died on 26 February 1789. His estate passed to his son, also George.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|St John Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Private/business|| || || |
|Cunnochie, Fife, Scotland||Private|| || || |
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Colvin, Howard||2008||A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840|| ||London: YUP. 4th edition|| |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Scots Magazine||1789|| || ||Death note|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Edinburgh City Archives||Edinburgh Dean of Guild||Box 1780/40|| |