Basic Biographical Details

Name: James Ian Haig Marshall
Designation: Architect
Born: 3 January 1923
Died: 19 June 1998
Bio Notes: James Ian Haig Marshall may have been born in Macclesfield. He studied architecture at Edinburgh College of Art, and was admitted ARIBA in 1950. He worked for James Cubitt & Partners before joining Basil Spence & Partners as an associate in 1957 or 1958. He was elected ARIAS in 1964.

He would appear to have been a partner in Ian Lindsay & Partners by 1970. He retired in 1977, and died on 19 June 1998, survived by his wife Diana, his daughter and stepson.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 148, Ann Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivateBefore 1964 *After 1994 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4James Cubitt and PartnersBefore 19571957 or 1958 Role and precise dates unknown.
Item 2 of 4Basil Spence & Partners1957 or 19581964Associate 
Item 3 of 4Sir Basil Spence, Glover & Ferguson1964c. 1970Associate 
Item 4 of 4Ian G Lindsay & Partners1970 * Partner 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 181960sOrmiston HallOrmiston East LothianScotlandRestoration - may not have been involved
Item 2 of 181960sSecondary SchoolDinnington SheffieldEnglandAs job architect for Sir Basil Spence, Glover & Ferguson
Item 3 of 181961Glasgow (Abbotsinch) Airportnr Paisley RenfrewshireScotland2 terminal building - as associate in the firm of Basil Spence & Partners / Sir Basil Spence, Glover & Ferguson
Item 4 of 181965St Machar's CathedralOld Aberdeen AberdeenScotlandConservation and re-ordering
Item 5 of 181966University of Edinburgh, James Clerk Maxwell BuildingThe King's Buildings EdinburghScotlandas associate in the firm of Sir Basil Spence, Glover & Ferguson
Item 6 of 181968Oban Episcopal Cathedral of St John the DivineOban ArgyllScotlandWork with HArley Haddow - consolidation of foundations, raising of nave floor level, new narthex screenand rooflights along S edge of nave above new screen.
Item 7 of 181970sReid School of Music  EdinburghScotlandOrgan case
Item 8 of 181970Colinton Mains Church and hall  EdinburghScotlandAddition of halls
Item 9 of 181971Barscobe Castle  KirkcudbrightshireScotlandRestoration
Item 10 of 181971Block of buildings, Chambers Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 11 of 181971Villa, 14 Kevock RoadLasswade MidlothianScotland 
Item 12 of 181972Fearn Abbey Church (and manse)Fearn Ross and CromartyScotlandAlterations
Item 13 of 181972Great YewOrmiston East LothianScotland 
Item 14 of 181975Inveraray CastleInveraray ArgyllScotlandRestoration after fire
Item 15 of 181977Tenements, Mound Place  EdinburghScotlandRestoration
Item 16 of 181978David Marshall Lodge and IndicatorAberfoyle PerthshireScotlandAdditions to N
Item 17 of 181980Sempill's Close, Castlehill  EdinburghScotlandRestoration
Item 18 of 181982Chapel House  EdinburghScotlandInterior gutted when converted to mosque

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Glendinning, Miles1997Rebuilding Scotland: The Postwar Vision, 1945-75  Tuckwell Press Ltdp98 Abbotsinch Airport
Item 2 of 2RIBA1970RIBA Directory 1970   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 2RIAS, Rutland SquareRecords of membership  
Item 2 of 2Sent to DSA by emailInformation from AHRC/RCAHMS Spence project per David W Walker and Clive Fenton Clive Fenton's research notes (sent July 2010)