Basic Site Details

Name: Edinburgh Sports Club
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: The original design, of 1936, with only 3 squash courts, had elevations similar to Gribloch, but this appears to have been simplified as a cost expedient. The amended design resulted in 5 squash courts, and less detailing, in 1937.

In 1966, two further racquet courts were added to the SW and social facilities on the E. These reinforced concrete structures were by M J Slater. There were further alterations to enhance social facilities on the E, in 1977, and subsequent alterations to these and an upgrading of the changing rooms etc. in 1987. A single-storey extension to the W provided a small gymnasium, in the 1990s.

The building has been well maintained and the essence of the 1930s character is intact in the building’s core i.e. the first 5 squash courts and the concrete floors and stairs.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 3Squash Court  
Item 2 of 3Sports centre  
Item 3 of 3Club  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 17, Belford Place  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 519361937Build/constructionOriginal design - amended design the following year.
Item 2 of 51966 AdditionTwo further courts and social facilities to E
Item 3 of 51977 AdditionFurther alterations to social facilities
Item 4 of 51987 Alterations and additionsChanging room facilities improved
Item 5 of 51990s AdditionGymnasium added - single storey extension

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 5(Sir) Basil Urwin SpenceArchitectA1936 Original design - amended design the following year.
Item 2 of 5(Sir) William Hardie Kininmonth ArchitectA1936 Original design - amended design the following year.
Item 3 of 5Arthur Forman Balfour PaulArchitectA1936 May not have been involved. Original design - amended design the following year.
Item 4 of 5Rowand Anderson, Paul & PartnersArchitectural practiceA19361937Original design - amended design the following year.
Item 5 of 5Martin Johns SlaterArchitectA1966 Addition of two further courts and social facilities to E

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1King, Dr John BKing was a partner of Kininmonth's brother. He owned the site and for whom Kininmonth & Spence built an early Modernist house, Lismhor at Easter Belmont Road.

References

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 2Clive FentonHS Spence Thematic Survey 2009
Item 2 of 2Edinburgh City ArchivesEdinburgh Dean of Guild 28/2/36, 13/3/36, 25/12/36, 6/4/62, 19/3/65, 22/7/66, 23/7/76, 26/8/77, 25/5/87)