Basic Site Details

Name: Smyllum Orphanage Institute
Town, district or village: Lanark
City or county: Lanarkshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: B listed
Grid ref:
Notes: A new deaf and dumb institute, in connection with the Smyllum orphanage, Lanark, will shortly be commenced. It has been designed by Messrs. Pugin and Pugin, of Westminster. [Building News 9 December 1881 p757]

Built to the east of the original house, linked to it by screen wall. Two storeys. Opened in 1883, the institute was run in association with the orphanage, and provided accommodation for 30 deaf and dumb and six blind children

The Glasgow Diocese Finance Board minute book of 1904 includes unspecified works by Peter Paul Pugin. at Smyllum Orphanage

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Institute  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Whitelees Road  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 11883 Opened 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 2Peter Paul PuginArchitect 18811883 
Item 2 of 2Pugin & PuginArchitectural practice 18811883 

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Glasgow Diocese 

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Parent Structure and Site

This structure is related to the following parent structure or site (click the item to view details):
 Building nameNotes
Item 1 of 1Smyllum Orphanage 

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Building News9 December 1881  p757

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 2Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings RegisterHB37103 
Item 2 of 2Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of ScotlandCanmoreID 220442