Basic Site Details

Name: Smyllum Orphanage
Town, district or village: Lanark
City or county: Lanarkshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes:  

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 2Mansion house  
Item 2 of 2Orphanage From 1864 to 1980s

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Whitelees Road  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 218001825 Mansion built, possibly on the site of an earlier house
Item 2 of 2After 1894Before 1911 Additions - schools, refectories, dormitories and hospital

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1James KerrArchitect After 1894Before 1911Additions - schools, refectories, dormitories and hospital

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Child Structures

This structure or site has the following component or child structures (click on an item to view details):
 Building NameNotes
Item 1 of 2Smyllum Orphanage ChapelA new Roman Catholic chapel is about to be commenced at the Smyllum Orphanage, Lanark. The cost will be about 2,000. The designs have been prepared by Messrs. Pugin and Pugin, of Westminster. [Building News 11 November 1881 p 643]

For the erection of a new chapel - accepted tenders. Excavator, mason, and bricklayer: E McMorian, Carstairs Junction; carpenter, joiner, and ironmonger, J Baxter, Glasgow; slater and plasterer, T Glaister, Lanark; plumber, painter, and glazier, Proctor and Son, Biggar. Total 2,005 14 6
Quantities by R O Harris, Queen Victoria Street London
[Building News 4 November 1881 p614]

The Glasgow Diocese Finance Board minute book of 1904 includes unspecified works by Peter Paul Pugin. at Smyllum Orphanage
Item 2 of 2Smyllum Orphanage InstituteA new deaf and dumb institute, in connection with the Smyllum orphanage, Lanark, will shortly be commenced. It has been designed by Messrs. Pugin and Pugin, of Westminster. [Building News 9 December 1881 p757]

Built to the east of the original house, linked to it by screen wall. Two storeys. Opened in 1883, the institute was run in association with the orphanage, and provided accommodation for 30 deaf and dumb and six blind children

The Glasgow Diocese Finance Board minute book of 1904 includes unspecified works by Peter Paul Pugin. at Smyllum Orphanage

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Scotland on Sunday23 December 1990   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings RegisterHB37101 
Item 2 of 3RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers James Kerr: L v18 no1382
Item 3 of 3Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of ScotlandCanmoreID 46604