Basic Site Details

Name: Duff House (proposed hotel scheme)
City or county: Banffshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: Unexecuted
Grid ref:
Notes: In November 1907, the Duke of Fife presented Duff House to the townships of Banff and Macduff. The two town councils initially decided to convert the house and some 140 acres of the surrounding land into a hydropathic establishment. Sutherland and George prepared sketch plans, but the scheme was abandoned. Instead, in August 1908, the councils offered Dewynter Limited the option to turn the house into a hotel. Sutherland and George were retained by Dewynter Limited and continued working on the scheme between 1 October 1908 and 14 January 1909. About this time Dewynter Limited seem to have determined not to proceed, nor to pay their architects' fees for the abortive work. In December 1910 the matter was ultimately settled in court where the full claim of 810-2-11 fees and expenses was awarded to the plaintiffs.

The estimated cost of hotel conversion in January 1909 was 200,000.

(Colonel George, the town clerk of Macduff, was a brother of Clement George.)

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 2House  
Item 2 of 2Hotel  

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3Clement GeorgeArchitect 1909 Seemingly partner responsible
Item 2 of 3George SutherlandArchitect 1909  
Item 3 of 3Sutherland & GeorgeArchitectural practice 1909  

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Dewynter Limited 

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Parent Structure and Site

This structure is related to the following parent structure or site (click the item to view details):
 Building nameNotes
Item 1 of 1Duff HouseIn 1913 Duff House became a sanatorium, and later prison of war camp; George Bennett Mitchell's alterations have now been reversed.

William Adam, 1735-40; George Jamieson, mason; John Burn, specialised in carving. 'Buildings of Scotland' states that John Burt was clerk of works.

Golf course laid out by the leading golf course specialists, A & C J MacKenzie.

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Builder9 January 1909  p43
Item 2 of 2Building News9 December 1910  p849 Detailed report of court proceedings