Basic Site Details

Name: 143-146 Princes Street
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: Demolished
Grid ref:
Notes: Replaced by Binns' (later Fraser's) (see separate entry).

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 3Liberal Club After repairs and alterations, 1879, until pre-1893
Item 2 of 3Maules, Messrs From at least 1893
Item 3 of 3Osborne Hotel After reconstruction, 1873; until fire c.1879

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 2Club  
Item 2 of 2Hotel  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 2Hope StreetYes 
Item 2 of 2143,144,145,146, Princes StreetYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 71873  Original hotel - radical reconstruction of existing houses with 'compo' fašade; shop at no 145
Item 2 of 71879  Repaired and altered after fire as Liberal Club
Item 3 of 71893  Rebuilding of interior and modification of dome
Item 4 of 718971900 Alterations
Item 5 of 71923  Alterations to elevation
Item 6 of 7Before 1929  Demolition for complete rebuilding
Item 7 of 7Before 1929  Extension to premises, probably at Hope Street end

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 20David MacGibbonArchitectA1873 Original hotel - radical reconstruction of existing houses with 'compo' fašade
Item 2 of 20MacGibbon & RossArchitectural practiceA1873 Original hotel - radical reconstruction of existing houses with 'compo' fašade
Item 3 of 20Thomas RossArchitectA1873 Original hotel - radical reconstruction of existing houses with 'compo' fašade
Item 4 of 20Charles George Hood KinnearArchitectB1873 Shop at no 145
Item 5 of 20John Dick PeddieArchitectB1873 Shop at no 145
Item 6 of 20Peddie & KinnearArchitectural practiceB1873 Shop at no 145
Item 7 of 20Charles George Hood KinnearArchitectC1879 Repaired and altered after fire as Liberal Club
Item 8 of 20John More Dick PeddieArchitectC1879 Repaired and altered after fire as Liberal Club
Item 9 of 20Peddie, Kinnear & PeddieArchitectural practiceC1879 Repaired and altered after fire as Liberal Club
Item 10 of 20Charles George Hood KinnearArchitectD1893 Rebuilding of interior and modification of dome
Item 11 of 20John More Dick PeddieArchitectD1893 Rebuilding of interior and modification of dome
Item 12 of 20Kinnear & PeddieArchitectural practiceD1893 Rebuilding of interior and modification of dome
Item 13 of 20George Washington BrowneArchitectE18971900Alterations
Item 14 of 20John More Dick PeddieArchitectE18971900Alterations
Item 15 of 20Peddie & Washington BrowneArchitectural practiceE18971900Alterations
Item 16 of 20J M Dick Peddie & Walker ToddArchitectural practiceG1923 Alterations to elevation
Item 17 of 20Sydney Houghton MillerArchitectG1923 Alterations to elevation
Item 18 of 20William James Walker ToddArchitectG1923 Alterations to elevation
Item 19 of 20J M Dick Peddie & Walker ToddArchitectural practiceFBefore 1929 Extension
Item 20 of 20Sydney Houghton MillerArchitectFBefore 1929 Extension

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 2Jamieson, ___Client for reconstruction as Osborne Hotel, 1873
Item 2 of 2Maules, Messrs, drapersClient for rebuilding and modifications of 1893

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Varga, Susan2007Images of Scotland, Edinburgh New Town Chalford: Tempusp55 (Photo of building pre-fire)

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3Edinburgh City ArchivesEdinburgh Dean of Guild Plans dated February 1873 and 20 September 1873 and (for Kinnear & Peddie work) 28 November 1878
Item 2 of 3National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSDick Peddie and McKay Collection DPM 1870/115/1; DPM 1890/20/1-16
Item 3 of 3RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers Sydney Houghton Miller: F no2700 (box 10)