Basic Site Details

Name: St Andrews RC Pro-Cathedral
Town, district or village: Dumfries
City or county: Dumfriesshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: B Listed
Grid ref:
Notes: Main body of church demolished after fire. Tower is still extant and is Listed

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Cathedral  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Shakespeare StreetYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 618111813 Original church by John McCracken
Item 2 of 618421832 North tower (belonging to school) added
Item 3 of 61858  Addition of spire to tower of 1843 by John H Bell
Item 4 of 61899  Alterations
Item 5 of 61912  Alterations
Item 6 of 61961 DamageDestroyed by fire

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 14John McCrackenArchitect, MasonE18111813 
Item 2 of 14Marmaduke Constable-MaxwellArchitect 18421843North tower (belonging to school) added
Item 3 of 14Alexander FraserArchitect 1858 Addition of spire
Item 4 of 14Charles Edwin ChildArchitectA18711872Enlargement
Item 5 of 14George GoldieArchitectA18711872Enlargement
Item 6 of 14Goldie & ChildArchitectural practiceA18711872Enlargement
Item 7 of 14A B & J CrombieArchitectural practiceB1880 Decoration - Alan Burgess Crombie responsible
Item 8 of 14Alan Burgess CrombieArchitectB1880 Decoration
Item 9 of 14James BarbourArchitectC1899 Alterations
Item 10 of 14John McLintock BowieArchitectC1899 Alterations
Item 11 of 14Barbour & BowieArchitectural practiceD1912Before 1924Alterations, including baptistery
Item 12 of 14James BarbourArchitectD1912 Alterations
Item 13 of 14John McLintock BowieArchitectD1912Before 1924Alterations, including baptistery
Item 14 of 14David RobertsonArchitectDAfter 1912Before 1924Alterations (baptistery) - as chief assistant or partner in the firm of Barbour & Bowie

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 5Colvin, Howard2008A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 London: YUP. 4th edition 
Item 2 of 5Dillon, W1964The Story of St Andrews  p8
Item 3 of 5Gifford, John1996Dumfries and Galloway (The Buildings of Scotland)  p243-4
Item 4 of 5MacDowall1860Guide to Dumfries  p45
Item 5 of 5MacDowall1867History of Dumfries  p818

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3Dumfries & Galloway CouncilJames Barbour drawings, Sutherland Dickie & Copland Archive (many not traced, 2010) 1317 and 733
Item 2 of 3Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register26342 
Item 3 of 3RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers David Robertson: F no3509 (box 24)