Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Alan Burgess Crombie |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||21 August 1845 |
|Died: ||29 October 1904 |
|Bio Notes: ||Alan Burgess Crombie and James Crombie were born on 21 August 1845, the twin sons of architect Alexander Crombie of Dumfries. Both were articled to their father in 1860. Alan subsequently sought experience in London with Henry Astley Darbishire from 1864 to 1866, returning to assist his father in the latter year before being taken into partnership in 1870. James had a rather more adventurous career than his brother, seeking experience in the offices of Ewan Christian, Christopher Obee Ellison and Cubitt and Co's in London and Charles Dexter Gambrill and Henry Hobson Richardson in New York, returning c.1876 to become his brother's partner. |
Alexander Crombie died in 1880. His sons' partnership was dissolved by 1881 when James became the partner of Patrick James Byrne of Windsor, with an office address at Lyons Inn Chambers, 303 Strand, London, and a home address at Rutland Lodge, Dulwich. Alan Burgess was elected FRIBA on 20 March that year, his proposers being John Honeyman, Darbishire, and John Baird. His brother must have passed the RIBA's qualifying exam as he was elected ARIBA on 9 January 1882, his proposers being Christian, Professor Robert Kerr and John Thomas Wimperis. He continued to practise from London, competing against Alan Burgess for the Ewart Library in 1900. He died in 1909.
Alan Burgess Crombie was married twice: first to Mary Elizabeth Cock by whom he had two sons, Alexander William Crombie (born 1873) and Alan Crombie (born 1875); second to Elizabeth Jane McIlraith by whom he had four sons, Wilfrid Ftizalan Crombie (30 January 1882-1952), John Wallace Crombie (1884-1967), Harold Crombie, b.1890, Stewart Phyn Crombie 1893-1917 and Alan Crombie, b.1895.
Alan Burgess Crombie predeceased his brother on 29 October 1904, leaving moveable estate of £5,287 4s 9d. The practice was taken over by his twenty-two-year-old son Wilfrid Fitzalan Crombie who had been articled to his father for two years from September 1896, leaving to attend eight months of day classes at Glasgow Technical College before being placed with Honeyman and Keppie (from 1901 Honeyman and Mackintosh) from 1899 to 1903, when he had returned to his father's practice.
Despite this interesting architectural lineage the work of the younger Crombies is notably interesting only in the decade following Alan and James's return from London and New York, notably at the Gothic board schools of the 1870s and the huge Victorian palazzo façade of Rosefield Mills which was presumably the inspiration for William Leiper's still finer Templeton Factory façade at Glasgow Green a few years later. Alan's later work is neo-Jacobean as at Maxwelltown Courthouse and neo baroque as at the Ewart Library.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Beaumont, Edinburgh Road, Dumfries, Dumfriesshire, Scotland||Private|| ||1904|| |
|3, Queen Street, Dumfries, Dumfriesshire, Scotland||Private/business(?)||1863 *|| || |
|Maryville, Dumfries, Dumfriesshire, Scotland||Private||1881 *|| || |
|11, Albany Place, Dumfries, Dumfriesshire, Scotland||Private||1891|| || |
|Union Chambers, Dumfries, Dumfriesshire, Scotland||Business||1900 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Wilfrid Fitzalan Crombie||1 September 1896||1 September 1898||Apprentice|| |
|Wilfrid Fitzalan Crombie||1 September 1903||29 November 1904||Assistant|| |
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|British Architectural Library, RIBA||2001||Directory of British Architects 1834-1914|| || || |
|Colvin, H M||1995||A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840||3rd edition||New Haven and London: Yale University Press|| |
|Johnston, W T||2003||Artists of Scotland|| ||Officina Publications CDROM|| |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Dumfries and Galloway Standard||27 August 1845|| || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Census records online||Censuses|| || |
|Courtesy of Morag Cross||Information sent to DSA|| ||Sent March 2014|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||F v6 p144 (microfiche 96/E1)|