Basic Biographical Details

Name: Goldie & Child
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1867
Bio Notes: George Goldie was born in York on 9 June 1828 and was a grandson of Joseph Bonomi. He was educated at St Cuthberts College, Ushaw and articled to John Gray Weightman and Matthew Ellison Hadfield in Sheffield from 1845 to 1850 when he became a partner. He was admitted ARIBA on 13 June 1853.

In 1858 Weightman withdrew to practise alone, Hadfield and Goldie remaining in partnership with offices in both Sheffield and London until the close of 1860. Goldie then practised alone until 1867 when Charles Edwin Child, born 1843 was taken into partnership. Child never sought admittance to the RIBA and information on him is slight. In 1880 Goldie's son Edward, born in Sheffield in 1856 and also educated at Ushaw was taken into partnership shortly after the end of his apprenticeship, which commenced in 1875. He did not seek admittance to the RIBA until 1904.

George Goldie died at St Servan, Brittany on 1 March 1887 and was buried at St Jouan des Guerets; Child died in 1911 and Edward Goldie in 1921.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2London, EnglandBusiness   
Item 2 of 2Sheffield, Yorkshire, EnglandBusiness   

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 5Charles Edwin Child1867 Partner 
Item 2 of 5George Goldie1867 Partner 
Item 3 of 5Frederick Arthur Walters18691872Assistant 
Item 4 of 5Frederick Arthur Walters18721878Chief Assistant 
Item 5 of 5Edward Goldie18751880ApprenticeThereafter partner.

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 121862RC Church of Our Lady of the AngelsMingarry Inverness-shireScotland 
Item 2 of 121867St John the Evangelist RC ChurchCastle Douglas KirkcudbrightshireScotland 
Item 3 of 121867St Mungo RC Church  GlasgowScotland 
Item 4 of 121870St Mary's RC Church  GlasgowScotlandRemodelled sanctuary
Item 5 of 121871St Andrews RC Pro-CathedralDumfries DumfriesshireScotlandEnlargement
Item 6 of 121872RC Church of Our Lady and St AndrewGalashiels SelkirkshireScotlandWest end completed under HopeScott and George Goldie's supervision
Item 7 of 121872St Joseph's RC Church  GlasgowScotlandFašade moved to street line, baptistery built etc
Item 8 of 121875Our Lady and St Ninian RC ChurchNewton Stewart WigtownshireScotland 
Item 9 of 121877St Joseph's RC Church  GlasgowScotlandChurch overhauled
Item 10 of 121877St Margaret's RC ChurchAyr AyrshireScotlandAddition of short transepts with round windows
Item 11 of 121878St Margaret's RC ChurchLoanhead MidlothianScotland 
Item 12 of 12After 1900St David's RC ChurchDalkeith MidlothianScotlandDecoration of chancel and Lady Chapel


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
Item 1 of 2Architects Engineers and Building Trades Directory1868Architect's, Engineer's and Building Trades' Directory London, Wyman 
Item 2 of 2Glendinning, M, MacInnes, R and MacKechnie, A1996A History of Scottish Architecture   

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Builder5 March 1887   
Item 2 of 3Building News4 May 1887   
Item 3 of 3RIBA Proceedings1887ns, v9 pp357, 387