Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Charles E Tweedie & Son |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1921 or 1922 or 1923 or 1924 |
|Ended: ||After 1940 |
|Bio Notes: ||Charles Edward Tweedie was born in Edinburgh on 7 July 1863, the son of Peter Tweedie of Abdie, Fife, whose profession in 1881 is described as 'clerk in Exchange' and his wife Agnes Baigrie Bourhill of Dalkeith. Nothing is yet known of his training or early career but in 1892 he entered into partnership with Frank Lewis Worthington Simon (born 1862), the first professor at the Edinburgh School of Applied Art, who had recently dissolved his private partnership with Stewart Henbest Capper due to pressure of work at the School and had moved his office to 36 Hanover Street. |
The Simon & Tweedie partnership won the competition for Llanelly Town Hall in 1892 but lost the commission to the local architect William Griffiths. It had more success in Manchester where Simon had won the competition for the Macfadyen Memorial Church, an office being opened in Manchester to build it. The partnership seems to have closed late in 1895 or early in 1896. Tweedie continued independent practice only briefly, working from home. He became a senior assistant in Lorimer's office, remaining there until the First World War.
Tweedie resumed independent practice in or about 1920 in partnership with his son, also Charles Edward Tweedie (born on 6 June 1891). He became an apprentice first in H M Office of Works and then in the practice of Hippolyte Jean Blanc, subsequently returning to the Office of Works and working for a time for Francis William Deas before commencing practice with his father. The date of this partnership is uncertain: the younger Tweedie's LRIBA papers give 1921, his obituary 1923, and his FRIBA papers 1924, but the practice title of Charles E Tweedie & Son appears in press reports from at least 1922.
The elder Tweedie appears to have retired or taken a less active part from about 1924, leaving his son as managing partner.
Charles Tweedie senior died on 31 July 1942, survived by his wife, Jane Sword Lamb.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|54, Frederick Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||c. 1922||After 1940|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|Post Office Directories|| || || || || |