Basic Site Details

Name: 107-108 Princes Street
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: Demolished
Grid ref:
Notes: See separate entry for replacement building by Ian Burke Associates.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Mackie's Bakery  

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Eating and drinking establishment  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1107-108, Princes StreetYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 31920  Alterations
Item 2 of 3After 1921Before 1939 New front and internal alterations
Item 3 of 31922  Alterations

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 8David SharpeArchitectAAfter 1892Before 1911As assistant, probably to Alexander Wood MacNaughtan
Item 2 of 8Alexander Wood MacNaughtan (or McNaughton)ArchitectA?After 1898(?)Before 1911(?)Probably responsible - with David Sharpe as assistant
Item 3 of 8(Sir) Robert Stodart LorimerArchitectB1920 Alterations.
Item 4 of 8Charles E Tweedie & SonArchitectural practiceDAfter 1921Before 1939New front and internal alterations
Item 5 of 8Charles Edward Tweedie (junior)ArchitectDAfter 1921Before 1939New front and internal alterations
Item 6 of 8Charles Edward Tweedie (senior)ArchitectDAfter 1921(?)Before 1924(?)New front and internal alterations (possibly by his son alone: the elder Tweedie may have retired or died by the time it was built (any time up to 1939))
Item 7 of 8(Sir) Robert Stodart LorimerArchitectC1922 Remodelling - delegated to Matthew
Item 8 of 8John Fraser MatthewArchitectC1922 Remodelling - delegated to Matthew by Lorimer

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Mackie, J W & SonsFor 1920 and 1922 work and Tweedie & Sons work

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Cant, Malcolm2005Edinburgh shops past and present Malcolm Cant publicationsp75 (good illustrations of about 1900)
Item 2 of 2Savage, Peter1980Lorimer and the Edinburgh Craft Designers Edinburgh: Paul Harris Publishing, 1980 (also paperback ed, London & Edinburgh: Steve Savage, 2005)p177

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 2National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSLorimer and Matthew Collection LOR E/40, LOR E/386
Item 2 of 2RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers David Sharpe: L v25 no2091; Charles Edward Tweedie, Junior: F no3754 (box 28)