Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||J N Scott & A Lorne Campbell (or Scott & Campbell) |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1898 |
|Ended: ||After 1915 |
|Bio Notes: ||John Nichol Scott was born in 1863 and educated at George Watson's College and Moray House College. He was articled to Archibald Macpherson in 1878 and remained as an assistant until 1883 when he joined Rowand Anderson's office. During that period he attended Edinburgh College of Art. In 1884 he moved to Glasgow as assistant to William Gardner Rowan but returned in the following year as a senior assistant to Hippolyte Jean Blanc. |
In 1896 Scott entered into an informal partnership with James Anderson Williamson, an assistant in the office of the City Architect, Robert Morham, for the purpose of entering the North Bridge competition for which Alfred Waterhouse was assessor. They obtained the first premium of £250 beating Gibson & Russell and Lanchester Stewart & Rickards into second and third places; Williamson preferred to stay with Morham in the expectation of succeeding him as City Architect, but Scott commenced independent practice at 44 Queen Street in the expectation that he would be commissioned for at least some of the buildings. In the event none came his way.
In 1898 Scott entered into partnership with a younger assistant of Morham's, Alexander Lorne Campbell, who had similarly been in independent practice for two years at 21 St Andrew Square. Born in 1871, Campbell had been articled to Peter Lyle Barclay Henderson in 1886 for four years and remained with him as draughtsman until 1891 when he joined Morham's staff. During that period he attended classes at Edinburgh College of Art, Edinburgh University and Heriot-Watt College.
In 1899 the newly formed partnership of J N Scott & A Lorne Campbell (commonly referred to simply as Scott & Campbell) had a major success when Walter Wood Robertson awarded them first place in the competition for Midlothian County Buildings, but as in the North Bridge competition the practice derived little benefit from it, the Convener on the County Sir James Gibson Craig giving the commission to James Macintyre Henry whose design had been placed fourth. In the following year, 1900, the practice had a further success in the competition for St Stephens UF Church, Comely Bank which at last launched the practice into actual building. Both partners were admitted FRIBA on 4 March 1907, their proposers being Blanc, Alexander Hunter Crawford and Harold Ogle Tarbolton. Scott was then living at 22 Brougham Place and Campbell at 7 Inverleith Terrace.
Although Campbell had never worked for Rowand Anderson he became closely associated with him in professional matters during the First World War. When Anderson was awarded the Royal Gold Medal in 1916 and was too ill to travel to London to receive it personally it was Campbell who read out the address and the Lord Provost, Sir Robert Inches, who received the medal on his behalf; and it was again Campbell who acted for Anderson when on 6 October they approached John Watson and William Brown Whitie of the Glasgow Institute of Architects for their agreement to the formation of a national institute, the formal meeting taking place on the 19th. When Anderson died in 1921, Campbell was one of the executors and designed the memorial cottage to Lady Anderson who had died some five months earlier.
The practice moved to 60 Castle Street before 1914. After Scott died in 1920, Campbell entered into partnership with John Begg, an old colleague of Scott's in Blanc's office who had been consulting architect to the Government of India and was about to become head of the school of architecture at Edinburgh College of Art.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|44, Queen Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Private||1898||After 1907|| |
|60, Castle Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||Before 1914||After 1915|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.