Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||John Nichol Scott |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1863 |
|Died: ||22 September 1920 |
|Bio Notes: ||John Nichol Scott was born in 1863 and educated at George Watson's College and Moray House College. He was articled to Archibald Macpherson in 1878 and remained as an assistant until 1883 when he joined Rowand Anderson's office. During that period he attended Edinburgh College of Art. In 1884 he moved to Glasgow as assistant to William Gardner Rowan but returned in the following year as a senior assistant to Hippolyte Jean Blanc. |
He spent four months travelling in France and Italy in 1895 and the following year entered into an informal partnership with James Anderson Williamson (born 1860), an assistant in the office of the City Architect, Robert Morham, for the purpose of entering the North Bridge competition for which Alfred Waterhouse was assessor. They obtained the first premium of £250 beating Gibson & Russell and Lanchester Stewart & Rickards into second and third places; Williamson preferred to stay with Morham in the expectation of succeeding him as City Architect, but Scott commenced independent practice at 44 Queen Street in the expectation that he would be commissioned for at least some of the buildings. In the event none came his way.
In 1898 Scott entered into partnership with a younger assistant of Morham's, Alexander Lorne Campbell, who had similarly been in independent practice for two years at 21 St Andrew Square.
In 1899 the newly formed partnership of J N Scott & A Lorne Campbell (commonly referred to simply as Scott & Campbell) had a major success when Walter Wood Robertson awarded them first place in the competition for Midlothian County Buildings, but as in the North Bridge competition the practice derived little benefit from it, the Convener on the County Sir James Gibson Craig giving the commission to J Macintyre Henry whose design had been placed fourth. In the following year, 1900, the practice had a further success in the competition for St Stephens UF Church, Comely Bank which at last launched the practice into actual building. Both partners were admitted FRIBA on 4 March 1907, their proposers being Blanc, Alexander Hunter Crawford and Harold Ogle Tarbolton. Scott was then living at 22 Brougham Place and Campbell at 7 Inverleith Terrace. The practice moved to 60 Castle Street before 1914.
John Nichol (or Nicol) Scott died aged fifty-six on 22 September 1920 at 22 Broughton Place. He left moveable estate of £2,421 6s 1d. His brother David appears to have been living at the same address at the time of his death.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|4A, St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||c. 1896|| || |
|44, Queen Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||c. 1897||c. 1909|| |
|22, Broughton Place, Edinburgh, Scotland||Private||c. 1902||1920|| |
|60, Castle Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||c. 1910|| || |
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Post Office Directories|| || || || || |
|Scotlands People Website|| ||www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - Statutory Registers - Deaths|| || ||Statutory Deaths 685/01 0196|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|New Register House||Wills and Testaments|| || |
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||F v18 p91 no1219 (microfilm reel 12)|