Basic Biographical Details

Name: Buchanan & Bennett
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: c. 1888
Ended: Before 1909
Bio Notes: Buchanan & Bennett practised primarily as civil engineer but also as architects. The practice was founded by John Buchanan in about 1868 or 1869 at 17 George Street, Edinburgh, but had moved to 24 George Street by 1870. In 1883 James Bower Bennett moved from his native Alloa, where he had been articled to Thomas Frame, to become an assistant to Buchanan. In or about 1888 he was taken into partnership, the practice title becoming Buchanan & Bennett. Their involvement at St Mary's RC Cathedral, Edinburgh and at St Cuthbert's RC Church, Slateford suggest they were perhaps Roman Catholic.

Buchanan & Bennett's business principally consisted of water and sewage schemes. In or about 1898 Bennett moved into what had been Buchanan's house at 7 Malta Terrace, but by 1904 he had moved to 2 Thorburn Road, Colinton which may be identifiable with his Parkhill address of about 1905-06; but thereafter the partnership appears to have been dissolved in 1907-08, Bennett moving out to 42 Frederick Street. Buchanan retained the office at 12 Hill Street, taking Walter Linton, probably his chief assistant, into partnership in 1909 just before he retired or died, the practice adopting the title of Buchanan & Linton with an office at 133A George Street by about 1911.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 317, George Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1869 Buchanan's address
Item 2 of 324, George Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 18701898 or 1899 
Item 3 of 312, Hill Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness1898 or 18999c. 1909 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3James Bower Bennett  Partner 
Item 2 of 3John Buchanan  Partner 
Item 3 of 3John Proudfoot Goodsir18851889Assistant 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 71891Bridge over Tillicoultry BurnTillicoultry ClackmannanshireScotland 
Item 2 of 71894Royal HotelDunbar East LothianScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 3 of 71894St Cuthbert's RC Church (and hall)Slateford EdinburghScotland 
Item 4 of 71894 or 1895St Mary's RC Cathedral  EdinburghScotlandTriple opening made in west wall. Additions and chapel. Stalls and throne adapted from earlier fittings.
Item 5 of 71898Tenement for the MagistratesDunbar East LothianScotlandMay be resonsible?
Item 6 of 71900Cowdenbeath, waterworksCowdenbeath FifeScotland 
Item 7 of 71902Lochgelly, waterworksLochgelly FifeScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Post Office Directories