© All rights reserved. Edinburgh and the Lothians at the opening of the twentieth century / by A. Eddington. Contemporary biographies / edited by W.T. Pike 

Larger versions of these images are located at the foot of the page.

Basic Biographical Details

Name: James Bower Bennett
Designation: Architect
Born: 1859
Died:  
Bio Notes: James Bower Bennett was born in Falkirk in 1859, the son of George Bennett, and was educated at Alloa Parish School and Dollar Academy. He was articled to Thomas Frame of Alloa as architect and civil engineer and came to Edinburgh in 1883 as assistant to John Buchanan, CE: it was probably at that time he studied civil engineering at Heriot Watt. In or about 1888 John Buchanan took him into partnership with the practice title of Buchanan & Bennett, the office then being at 24 George Street, Edinburgh. Bennett was then living at 12 Antigua Street, moving first to 37 South Clerk Street in about 1890 and then to 26 Nelson Street in about 1892. He appears to have been Roman Catholic, tow of his four works in architecture as opposed to engineering being an addition to St Mary's RC Cathedral Edinburgh and St Cuthebert's Church at Slateford. He married Florence Smyth of Temeside, Ludlow, Shropshire in 1893.

In about 1896 Bennett took over what had been Buchanan's house at 7 Malta Terrace, but in about 1903 he moved to 2 Thorburn Road, Colinton, which may be identifiable with his Parkhill address in 1905-6. By about 1907 the Buchanan Bennett partnership had become problematic and was dissolved, Buchanan retaining the partnership's office at 12 Hill Street and Bennett opened his own office at 42 Frederick Street: at the same date he gave up his Colinton houses and moved first to 8 Howard Place and then 6 Netherby Road. Thereafter his practice and personal circumstances became unsettled and in decline, his office moving to 5 Hill Street in about 1913 and 12 Castle Street in 1916 and his home to 9 Sandford Gardens, Portobello. In about 1917-18 he moved both house and office to 27 Eyre Place, his last entry in the directories being in 1919.

Bennett's business principally consisted of water and sewage schemes. He was a man of wide interests, politics (although he does not seem to have sought election), antiquarian pursuits, particularly 17th and 18th century literature, and angling. For a time at least he must have achieved a considerable standing as he was admitted a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1412, Hill Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness c. 1907 
Item 2 of 1412, Antugua Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivatec. 1889  
Item 3 of 1437, South Clerk Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivatec. 1891c. 1892 
Item 4 of 1426, Nelson Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivatec. 1893c. 1896 
Item 5 of 147, Malta Terrace, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivatec. 1897c. 1903 
Item 6 of 142, Thorburn Road, Colinton, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1904  
Item 7 of 14Parkhill, Colinton, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivatec. 1905c. 1906 
Item 8 of 148, Howard Place, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivatec. 1907c. 1908 
Item 9 of 146, Netherby Road, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1909  
Item 10 of 1442, Frederick Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1909c. 1911 
Item 11 of 149, Sandford Gardens, Portobello, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1911  
Item 12 of 145, Hill Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1913c. 1915 
Item 13 of 1412, Castle Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1916c. 1918 
Item 14 of 1427, Eyre Place, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivate/businessc. 1918c. 1919 

Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 1Buchanan & Bennett  Partner 

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 1Samuel Edwin DuncanSeptember 1915Before 1918Apprentice 

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 81891Bridge over Tillicoultry BurnTillicoultry ClackmannanshireScotland 
Item 2 of 81894Royal HotelDunbar East LothianScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 3 of 81894St Cuthbert's RC Church (and hall)Slateford EdinburghScotland 
Item 4 of 81894 or 1895St Mary's RC Cathedral  EdinburghScotlandTriple opening made in west wall. Additions and chapel. Stalls and throne adapted from earlier fittings.
Item 5 of 81898Tenement for the MagistratesDunbar East LothianScotlandMay be resonsible?
Item 6 of 81900Cowdenbeath, waterworksCowdenbeath FifeScotland 
Item 7 of 81902Lochgelly, waterworksLochgelly FifeScotland 
Item 8 of 81903Hailes Estate, feuing  EdinburghScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Pike Edinburgh and the Lothians at the turn of the 20th century   
Item 2 of 2Post Office Directories     

Images

© All rights reserved. Edinburgh and the Lothians at the opening of the twentieth century / by A. Eddington. Contemporary biographies / edited by W.T. Pike 

© All rights reserved. Edinburgh and the Lothians at the opening of the twentieth century / by A. Eddington. Contemporary biographies / edited by W.T. Pike