Basic Site Details

Name: St Andrew's Free Church Mission Church
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: B Listed
Grid ref:
Notes: This was a partial rebuilding of David Cousin's original St George's Free Church Lothian Road (see separate entry) on a new site after the latter was displaced by the Caledonian Railway. The surplus masonry was used to build a tower that the original design did not have. Now only the tower survives.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 4Stockbridge ChurchYes 
Item 2 of 4Stockbridge Free Church Alternative original name
Item 3 of 4Stockbridge Parish Church More recent name
Item 4 of 4The Bruce Church Alternative original name

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 138, Deanhaugh StreetYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 41863  Mission school, incorporated in Stockbridge scheme, appears to be by Peddie & Kinnear
Item 2 of 418671869  
Item 3 of 41 January 1868 Foundation stone 
Item 4 of 41980 Alteration/conversionInsertion of housing into space created by demolition of nave of church. Tower incorporated.

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 4Charles George Hood KinnearArchitectA18671869Partial re-erection of Cousin church on new site; also possibly responsible for mission school, incorporated in scheme
Item 2 of 4John Dick PeddieArchitectA18671869Partial re-erection of Cousin church on new site; also possibly responsible for mission school, incorporated in scheme
Item 3 of 4Peddie & KinnearArchitectural practiceA18671869Partial re-erection of Cousin church on new site; also possibly responsible for mission school, incorporated in scheme
Item 4 of 4Matthew, Hamilton & MacleanArchitectural practiceA1980 Insertion of housing into space created by demolition of nave of church. Tower incorporated.

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Gifford, John, McWilliam, Colin and Walker, David M1984Edinburgh (The Buildings of Scotland) Harmondsworth: Penguin Books Ltdp403
Item 2 of 2MacLagan, David St George's Edinburgh   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 4Edinburgh City ArchivesEdinburgh Dean of Guild  
Item 2 of 4Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register30019 
Item 3 of 4National Archives of Scotland (formerly SRO)Managers' Minutes and Deacons' Court Minutes CH3/702 Covenant 3 June 1868
Item 4 of 4National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSDick Peddie and McKay Collection DPM/1860/44/1