Basic Site Details

Name: Glenlair
Town, district or village: Parton
City or county: Kirkcudbrightshire
Country: Scotland
Parish: Parton
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Burnt down in 1929 - shell remains.
The drawings for this now in DPM Collection at NMRS are from 134 High Street Dumfries, dated 1 January 1868. Clerk Maxwell archives show that the previous assumption that this was a Peddie & Kinnear branch office was not correct and that Barbour was at 134 High Street three years earlier than previously thought . Information from A Curtis Wolffe, August 2005.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Nether CorsockYes 

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1House  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 41830 Alterations and additions(?)Double pile house with twin gabled flanks, perhaps enlarging existing house. Newall's house relagated to rear wing following additions by Peddie & Kinnear.
Item 2 of 4January 1864  Additions (Drawings dated)
Item 3 of 4February 1884 ReconstructionFurther addition and reconstruction (Drawings dated)
Further addition and reconstruction
Item 4 of 41990s RepairConsultancy

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 6Walter NewallArchitectD1830 Double pile house with twin gabled flanks, perhaps enlarging existing house. Newall's house relagated to rear wing following additions by Peddie & Kinnear.
Item 2 of 6James BarbourArchitectA1868 Additions
Item 3 of 6Charles George Hood KinnearArchitectB1884  Reconstruction and additions
Item 4 of 6John More Dick PeddieArchitectB1884 Reconstruction and additions
Item 5 of 6Kinnear & PeddieArchitectural practiceB1884 Reconstruction and additions
Item 6 of 6Antony Curtiss Wolffe A1990s Repairs - Consultancy

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 3Maxwell, Andrew Wedderburn, of MiddlebieClient for 1884 alterations
Item 2 of 3Maxwell, James Clerk, physicistClient for additions by James Barbour
Item 3 of 3Maxwell, John ClerkFor work by Newall c1830

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1MacKechnie, Aonghus1988Walter Newall, Architect in Dumfries Trans. Dumfres & Galloway Naturual History & Antiquarian Society, 3rd ser, lxiii 

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 4Courtesy of Mr Antony WolffeInformation sent to Dictionary October 2013  
Item 2 of 4Dumfries Archive CentreWalter Newall CollectionDAC GGD 131/N1/69-75 
Item 3 of 4Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register17096 
Item 4 of 4National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSDick Peddie and McKay Collection DPM 1880/71/2 (drawings from 134 High Street, Dumfries - at this date James Barbour at this address