Basic Site Details

Name: St John's Episcopal Church
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Information about Morning Chapel from book on St John's Chapel - reference now lost.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Church  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 2Lothian RoadYes 
Item 2 of 2Princes StreetYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 1118151818  
Item 2 of 111865  Unexecuted proposals for chancel, north aisle and other liturgical changes
Item 3 of 111867  Minor alterations and re-decoration with stencilled colour scheme
Item 4 of 111912 Design exhibitedUnclear as to what work this is
Item 5 of 1119141916 Vestry hall added
Item 6 of 111919  War memorial
Item 7 of 11March 1926  Alterations to churchyard because of road widening
Item 8 of 1119331937 Altar, communion rails and details in side chapels
Item 9 of 111935  Morning Chapel
Item 10 of 1119361937 Screen for chapel to W H Fraser
Item 11 of 111980s Alteration/conversionConversion of church crypt to form coffee house and restaurant

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 21William BurnArchitect 18151818 
Item 2 of 21(Sir) George Gilbert ScottArchitect, Architectural practice 1865 Unexecuted proposals for chancel, north aisle and other liturgical changes (modified scheme was executed by Kinnear in 1867)
Item 3 of 21Charles George Hood KinnearArchitectA1867 Minor alterations and re-decoration with stencilled colour scheme
Item 4 of 21John Dick PeddieArchitectA1867 Minor alterations and re-decoration with stencilled colour scheme
Item 5 of 21Peddie & KinnearArchitectural practiceA1867 Minor alterations and re-decoration with stencilled colour scheme
Item 6 of 21Charles George Hood KinnearArchitectC18791882Addition of chancel and north porch
Item 7 of 21John More Dick PeddieArchitectC18791882Addition of chancel and north porch
Item 8 of 21Kinnear & PeddieArchitectural practiceC18791882Addition of chancel and north porch
Item 9 of 21(Sir) Thomas Duncan RhindArchitect 1912 Design for unspecified work in church
Item 10 of 21J M Dick Peddie & Forbes SmithArchitectural practiceD19141916Vestry hall added
Item 11 of 21James Forbes SmithArchitectD19141916Vestry hall added
Item 12 of 21John More Dick PeddieArchitectD19141916Vestry hall added
Item 13 of 21(Sir) Robert Stodart LorimerArchitectD1919 War memorial
Item 14 of 21(Sir) Robert Stodart LorimerArchitectB1926 Alterations to churchyard because of road widening - in partnership with Matthew prior to change of practice title to Lorimer & Matthew
Item 15 of 21John Fraser MatthewArchitectB1926 Alterations to churchyard because of road widening - in partnership with Lorimer prior to change of practice title to Lorimer & Matthew
Item 16 of 21Ian Gordon LindsayArchitectF19331937Screen for chapel to W H Fraser and altar, communion rails and details in side chapels etc. Iron gates in morning (or lady) chapel.
Item 17 of 21David John ChisholmArchitectE1935 Morning chapel
Item 18 of 21J M Dick Peddie & Walker ToddArchitectural practiceE1935 Morning chapel
Item 19 of 21William James Walker ToddArchitectE1935 Morning chapel
Item 20 of 21Orphoot, Whiting & LindsayArchitectural practiceF19351937Lindsay responsible for screen for chapel to W H Fraser and altar, communion rails and details etc
Item 21 of 21Dennis Graham RodwellArchitectG1980s Conversion of church crypt to form coffee house and restaurant.

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Child Structures

This structure or site has the following component or child structures (click on an item to view details):
 Building NameNotes
Item 1 of 2St John's Episcopal Church, Dean Ramsay's monumentMonument to Dean Ramsay. - The memorial cross which is to be erected on the inclosed ground to the east of St. John's Episcopal Church, Princes street, Edinburgh, was uncovered on Monday. The cross has been executed by Messrs Farmer and Brindley, London, from drawings by Mr R Anderson, architect, ARSA. The cross, which is formed of granite, rises to the height of 26 feet from the ground—the width of the arms being 8 feet 6 inches. On each of the main faces it is divided into panels, in which is inserted bronze bas-reliefs. Those occupying the head and arms of the cross represent the various stages of the Passion, together with the Resurrection and Ascension; and in another series of six, placed three on either face of the shaft, are set forth the Acts of Charity. Large panels at the foot of the shaft are filled in with sculptured ornament of twelfth-century type. In the same style have been treated the bronzes for the small panels formed along the sides of the cross, as well as the stonework of the circle connecting the arms. [Building News 31 October 1879 p538]

Located outside church
Item 2 of 2St John's Episcopal Church, Memorial Chapel for Mrs G H l LindsayLocated in South aisle

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 4Colvin, Howard2008A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 London: YUP. 4th edition 
Item 2 of 4Gifford, John, McWilliam, Colin and Walker, David M1984Edinburgh (The Buildings of Scotland) Harmondsworth: Penguin Books Ltdp277-8
Item 3 of 4RSA1912   588
Item 4 of 4Shepherd, Thomas Modern Athens   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 5Courtesy of Dennis RodwellInformation sent to Dictionary Sent May 2012
Item 2 of 5National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSDick Peddie and McKay Collection DPM/1860/114/43 (drawings for 1879-1882 work missing)
Item 3 of 5National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSIan G Lindsay Collection IGL/W197/1-4
Item 4 of 5National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSLorimer and Matthew Collection LOR E/33, LOR E/392
Item 5 of 5National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSWatherston Collection G G Scott drawings EDD 205/1, 2, 16-17