Basic Site Details

Name: The Knoll
Town, district or village: North Berwick
City or county: East Lothian
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: The house was leased to the Prince and Princess of Saxe-Weimar for the summer months, c.1899-1903, as well as being visited by King Edward in 1902.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1King's KnollYesName changed to King's Knoll in 1902 after a visit by King Edward in October of that year.

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Clifford RoadYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 218981899  
Item 2 of 21907  Alterations and new garage and cottage

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 4George Washington BrowneArchitectA18981899 
Item 2 of 4John More Dick PeddieArchitectA18981899 
Item 3 of 4Peddie & Washington BrowneArchitectural practiceA18981899Browne appears to have been responsible
Item 4 of 4(Sir) Robert Stodart LorimerArchitect 1907 Alterations and new garage and cottage

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Berry, Dr Sir George Andreas - ophthalmic surgeon 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Baker, Sonia2009The Country Houses, Castles and Mansions of East Lothian Stenlake, Catrinep47
Item 2 of 3RSA1899   677
Item 3 of 3Savage, Peter1980Lorimer and the Edinburgh Craft Designers Edinburgh: Paul Harris Publishing, 1980 (also paperback ed, London & Edinburgh: Steve Savage, 2005)p175

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3East Lothian CouncilNorth Berwick Dean of Guild Drawings
Item 2 of 3Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register38706 
Item 3 of 3National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSLorimer and Matthew Collection LOR N/6, N/7, N/8