Basic Site Details

Name: Binrock and Lodge
City or county: Dundee
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: B listed
Grid ref:
Notes: Various occupants have included Alexander Edward of A and D Edward, Logie Works, and James Keiller, confectioner. Grounds subdivided in 1924 for houses by Thoms and Wilkie.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1House  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1454, 454A (or 456), Perth RoadYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 4c. 1819 Alterations and additionsRemodelling and raising from 1 to 2 storeys
Item 2 of 4July 1882  Plans dated - additions and alterations
Item 3 of 418871888 Stables
Item 4 of 41924  Alterations

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 10David NeaveArchitectJc. 1819 Remodelling and raising to 2-storeys
Item 2 of 10James WatherstonArchitect, BuilderC1882 Additions and alterations
Item 3 of 10John Watherston & SonsArchitectural practice, BuildersC1882 Additions and alterations
Item 4 of 10William WatherstonArchitect, BuilderC1882 Additions and alterations
Item 5 of 10Ireland & MaclarenArchitectural practiceA1887 Stables and lodge (at 454A)
Item 6 of 10James Hendry Langlands (senior)ArchitectA18871888Stables and lodge at 454A- continuing practice of Ireland & Maclaren after the death of both partners
Item 7 of 10(Colonel) Herbert Morgan SmailArchitectB1924 Alterations
Item 8 of 10Godfrey Daniel Bower ShepherdArchitectB1924 Alterations
Item 9 of 10John Donald MillsArchitectB1924 Alterations
Item 10 of 10Mills & ShepherdArchitectural practiceB1924 Alterations

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 3Boase, Miss1924 alterations
Item 2 of 3Clayhills, Mr Client for Neave alterations. By 1829-30 Miss Clayhills was living at Binrock
Item 3 of 3Keillor, John MStables

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Gifford, John2012The Buildings of Scotland: Angus and Dundee Yalep181

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 6Dundee Planning Department/NMRSDundee Approved Duplicate Plans (Originals in NMRS for dates 1867-1883; otherwise on microfilm) Stables
Item 2 of 6Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register25619Lodge
Item 3 of 6Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register25621House
Item 4 of 6National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSDrawings Collection 1924 alterations
Item 5 of 6National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSWatherston Collection AND 40/4-7
Item 6 of 6NMRS (RIAS Collection)Volume of drawings by David Neave