Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Eric Doig Ellison |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||25 February 1928 |
|Died: ||16 June 1995 |
|Bio Notes: ||Eric Doig Ellison was born on 25 February 1928, the son of Richard Farrington Ellison, canned foods agent and his wife, Susan Hutcheson Doig and brought up in Cambuslang. He attended Allan Glen's School in Glasgow, and studied full-time at Glasgow School of Art from September 1945, securing vacational employment in the offices of Miller, Son & Manson, W A Gladstone and J Thomson King. On finishing his full-time studies in 1950, he joined King's firm. He took the final exam in Edinburgh in December 1953, and was admitted ARIBA on 15 June 1954, his proposers being Professor William James Smith, Jack Antonio Coia and Walter Underwood. He was elected ARIAS in October of 1954. In the same year he was promoted to senior assistant in King's firm. He was taken into partnership in 1957, the practice title changing in that year to J Thomson King & Partners. As of 1964, the firm became known as King, Main & Ellison. |
Ellison was elected FRIBA on 3 April 1968, proposed by Underwood, Coia and Peter L A Williams. He served on the General Council of the Glasgow Institute of Architects in the 1970s, introducing the annual award scheme.
Although outwardly quiet, Ellison had strong ideas on design and standards and was keen to give the best possible service to his clients.
He retired in 1986 and lived in Troon where he was an active member of the Royal Troon Golf Club.
He died at Crosshouse Hospital, Kilmarnock on 16 June 1995, survived by his wife Helen Natalie Jenkins and daughters Ann and Carol and his grandchildren.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|135, Bentinck Drive , Trron, Ayrshire, Scotland||Private|| ||1995|| |
|17, Brownside Road, Cambuslang, Lanarkshire, Scotland||Private||1950||After 1953|| |
|2, Milton Avenue, Cambuslang, Lanarkshire, Scotland||Private||1954 *|| || |
|55, West Regent Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1954 *|| ||with Thomson King & Partners|
|1, Whitefield Avenue, Cambuslang, Lanarkshire, Scotland||Private||Before 1960 *||After 1970|| |
|72, Waterloo Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1979 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Bailey, Rebecca M||1996||Scottish architects' papers: a source book|| ||Edinburgh: The Rutland Press||p145|
|RIBA||1950||The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|RIBA||1954||RIBA Kalendar 1953-54|| || || |
|RIBA||1961||Kalendar 1960-61|| || || |
|RIBA||1970||RIBA Directory 1970|| || || |
|RIBA||1979||Directory of members|| || || |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|RIAS Newsletter||August 1995||v6, no6|| ||Death notice|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIAS, Rutland Square||Records of membership|| || |
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||A no16081 (stored under F5911); F no5911 (combined box 107)|