Basic Biographical Details

Name: J Thomson King & Partners
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1955
Ended: 1964
Bio Notes: In 1947 John Thomson King took over the practice James Austen Laird & Partners and the firm then practiced as J T King. About a year later Thomas B Main was taken into partnership and in the 1950s Eric D Ellison joined them as partner. In 1955 the practice name changed to J Thomson King & Partners and in 1964 it became King Main & Ellison. In 1971 James S Inglis was taken into partnership followed by Hugh Taylor and Robert Barbour in 1978.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 355, West Regent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1954 *  
Item 2 of 35, Somerset Place, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1957 *  
Item 3 of 35, La Belle Place, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1959  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4Eric Doig Ellison19551957Senior Assistant 
Item 2 of 4John Thomson King19551964Partner 
Item 3 of 4Thomas Bell Main19551964Partner 
Item 4 of 4Eric Doig Ellison19571964Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 61956Uddingston Grammar SchoolUddingston LanarkshireScotlandEric Doig Ellison as partner in charge
Item 2 of 615 March 1957School at Castlemilk Site No 12Castlemilk GlasgowScotlandp523
Item 3 of 61960Blawarthill Church of ScotlandGarscadden GlasgowScotland 
Item 4 of 617 February 1961Houses at Clune ParkPort Glasgow RenfrewshireScotlandarchitects for modernisation project per Builder p340
Item 5 of 61963Larkfield Primary SchoolLarkfield, Greenock RenfrewshireScotlandbegun under this practice title; completed as King Main & Ellison; Eric Doig Ellison as partner in charge
Item 6 of 61963Stamperland ChurchClarkston RenfrewshireScotlandBegun under this practice title; continued under King Main & Ellison; Ellison as partner in charge

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Builder15 March 1957  p523