Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Francis O'Hara |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||2 September 1910 |
|Died: ||12 February 1955 |
|Bio Notes: ||Francis O'Hara was born on 2 September 1910. From 1929 to 1932 he served his articles with John Ross McKay, at the same time attending morning classes at Edinburgh College of Art and evening classes at Heriot Watt. He became a full-time student at the College of Art in 1932 and gained certificates in architecture and in hygiene in 1934. |
He returned to John Ross McKay as an assistant in 1934 and remained there for a year. In 1935 he became chief assistant to A D Haxton but again only remained there for a yera. He moved back to McKay's office as 2nd assistant but returned to HAxton in 1938-39. At that time he was a member of the Dundee Institute of Architects and was living at 'Birch Lea', Promenade, Leven. In about 1939 or a little earlier he spent some time in Heidelberg and became interested in the work of the Bauhaus.
During the war O'Hara served with the Royal Engineers in the Indian Army, reacing the rank of Captain but was invalided out back to the UK on 9 June 1944. He was elected LRIBA on 9 July 1946, proposed by John Ross McKay, William Wallace Friskin, and T Murray ____. He was discharged from hospital about 1946 or 1947 and took a post with the Ministry of Works at Saughton in Edinburgh, thereafter practising on his own account. He designed a number of cinemas in West Lothian for David Miller, who was a prominent local businessman.
O'Hara died on 12 February 1955.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Birch Lea, Promenade, Leven, Fife, Scotland||Private/business||1939 or 1940|| || |
|The Elms, East Calder, Midlothian, Scotland||Private/business||1946 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
|The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date proposed||Notes|
|William Wallace Friskin||9 July 1946||For Licientateship|
|John Ross McKay||9 July 1946||For Licentiateship|
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1935||Binns' store|| || ||Edinburgh||Scotland||As assistant to Richardson & McKay -was particularly responsible for the torches|
|1938||Flats, Falcon Avenue|| || ||Edinburgh||Scotland||As assistant to Richardson & McKay|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1939||The RIBA Kalendar 1939-1940|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|H M Register House||Death Register|| || |
|Professor David M Walker personal archive||Professor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material|| ||Additional information from Matthew O'Hara, his son|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||L no5934 (Combined Box 108).|