Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||D Macandrew & Co |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||Mid 1880s |
|Ended: ||After 1930 |
|Bio Notes: ||The practice D Macandrew & Co was probably formed when Daniel Macandrew of Aberdeen assumed A Winchester into partnership in the mid-1880s. |
Daniel Macandrew was born in about 1827 in Fortrose, Ross and Cromarty but when he was young his family moved to Drumoak in Deeside. He was initially articled to William Henderson of Aberdeen but moved to the workshop of Baillie Watson where he served two years as a joiner on the bench. In the mid-1840s he commenced practice on his own account at 22-24 John Street. His first foreman was James Coutts, the father of George Coutts, the architect.
About the year 1850 Macandrew was seriously ill and as a result he decided to emigrate to New Zealand with his brother James and other members of the family, including James' wife Eliza and their baby son, aboard James' schooner, the Titan. They arrived in Dunedin in January 1851. The family were accompanied by John Fraser, a young man 'under the care' of Macandrew as well as two carpenters, James Scott and J Smith, who were in his service. Later that year he designed a church at Port Chalmers and a hall for the Dunedin Mechanics Institute as well as a 6-roomed cottage for a Mrs Perkins and her seven children.
On 7 June 1851 Daniel married Margaret Dundas Oswald Hall, daughter of George Hall of Glasgow, in Dunedin and his eldest son, Colin, was born there. There is a conflict of information as to when Daniel returned to Scotland. His obituarist says that he remained in New Zealand for three years before returning to Scotland whilst he appears to have sailed for Sydney via Melbourne on the 'Louisa' in July 1852 with his wife and child indicating that he was intending to take a ship from there back to Scotland.
Back in Aberdeen Daniel bought the joinery business of his former employers the Hendersons at 120 Loch Street. By then it had passed into the hands of James Henderson, younger brother of William. Macandrew was to remain at this address for the remainder of his working life. Shortly after setting up business at Loch Street Macandrew obtained important contracts for work at the University of Aberdeen. He was also architect to the Aberdeen Association for the Improvement of the Dwellings of the Labouring Classes and the Aberdeen Sanitary Reform Company. He was also a member of the Association for the Improvement of the Condition of the Poor and contributed both in time and means to this and other societies. Like the Hendersons Macandrew was a Free Churchman and one of his first commissions was for the Free John Knox Church in Gerrard Street. On 7 January1864 Macandrew was given a letter of recommendation by the Lord Provost, though it is unclear precisely what the purpose of this was.
Toward the end of his career, he assumed A Winchester into the practice and the practice name became D Macandrew & Co but on Macandrew's retirement in about 1887, Winchester withdrew to set up his own business. The practice was taken over by Macandrew's third son Daniel junior and James A Smith who continued to trade under the same name. Daniel junior is described as an architect and builder. He lived with his parents at Vinery Cottage, Cults, Aberdeenshire but latterly had moved to a house of his own at 24 Polmuir Road, Aberdeen.
Daniel senior died on 26 March 1899 aged 78 years survived by his wife and one son Archibald of his four sons and four daughters. Daniel junior had predeceased his father, dying on 15 June 1893. James A Smith carried on the business as sole partner. It was still in operation in the early 1930s.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|120, Loch Street, Aberdeen, Scotland||Business|| || || |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Daniel Macandrew||c. 1880||1887||Partner|| |
|Andrew Mitchell||October 1894||October 1899||Apprentice|| |
Buildings and Designs
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.