Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Bell & Cameron |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||After 1890 |
|Ended: ||1914(?) |
|Bio Notes: ||William Bell was born in 1856 and articled to J & F Salmond of Dundee, remaining as assistant for two further years. In 1881 he commenced independent practice in Aberfeldy. He was later joined in partnership by Rhoderic Cameron as Bell & Cameron, civil engineers. Rhoderic Cameron (who signed his name thus but is also referred to in other sources as Roderic or Roderick) was born in 1860 and trained with Alexander Ross in Inverness, after which he had been draughtsman and 'confidential assistant' to Rowand Anderson for eight years before going into independent practice in Edinburgh. He moved to Aberfeldy for health reasons in the 1890s. |
Bell was admitted LRIBA on 20 March 1911, his proposers being George Penrose Kennedy Young, Patrick Hill Thoms and William Fleming Wilkie. By that time Bell & Cameron were practising in Pitlochry as well as Aberfeldy.
Cameron, a member of the Society of Architects, was admitted FRIBA some years later, on 29 November 1926, his proposers being John Campbell Turner Murray, James Andrew Minty and the RIBA Council. He died on 7 June 1928. He was married with one son and one daughter.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|14, Bank Street, Aberfeldy, Perthshire, Scotland||Business||1914 *|| || |
|8, Bank Street, Aberfeldy, Perthshire, Scotland||Business||1926 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.