Basic Site Details

Name: St Andrews Episcopal Church, Tullypowrie
Town, district or village: Strathtay
City or county: Perthshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Church situated at Grandtully station.

Stained glass by Thomas Willement brought from Christ Church, Folkestone (dated 1855-56). Cost of 1919 alterations and additions 590. It is assumed that the 'Episcopal Church, Tullypowrie' (1898) mentioned in P L B Henderson's FRIBA papers and the 'Chapel at Tullypowrie' (between 1891 and 1896) mentioned in W E Thomson's LRIBA papers are one and the same.

Cost of iron church 188 1s 5d

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 413 February 1876 OpenedOriginal iron church
Item 2 of 418941900Alteration/conversionStone chancel added to iron church
Item 3 of 4February 1900 CompletionStone chancel
Item 4 of 41919 Alteration/conversionPlans and tenders obtained for addition of stone nave and chancel remodelled.

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 5Isaac DixonBuilder 1876 Provided iron church
Item 2 of 5Peter Lyle Barclay HendersonArchitect, EngineerA1894 Stone chancel added to iron church.
Item 3 of 5William Erskine ThomsonArchitectA1894 As apprentice to Peter Lyle Barclay Henderson. Stone chancel added to iron church.
Item 4 of 5Bell & CameronArchitectural practiceC1919 Stone nave added and chancel remodelled
Item 5 of 5Rhoderic (or Roderic/Roderick) CameronArchitectC1919 Stone nave added and chancel remodelled

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Lye, Margaret2010A Guide to Episcopal Churches in the Diocese of St Andrews, Dunkeld & Dunblane Margaret Lye/Lulup101-106

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3A K Bell Library, PerthPerth & Kinross Archive Minute of meeting of Building Committee 3 February 1894. Also Meeting of 7 September 1919 (for alterations) (MS219/3(6).
Item 2 of 3Courtesy of Margaret LyeInformation to D M Walker Sent 30 May 2008
Item 3 of 3RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers Rhoderic Cameron: F no2441 (box 6). Peter Lyle Barclay Henderson: F no1156 (microfilm reel 12); William Erskine Thomson: L v21 no1628