Basic Biographical Details

Name: James Smith Kirkwood
Designation: Architect
Born: 1914 or 1915
Died: 13 September 1983
Bio Notes: James Smith Kirkwood was born on 22 January 1912, the son of David Kirkwood MP (later Lord Kirkwood). He was articled to Clarke & Bell & J H Craigie from 1933 to 1938. He studied at Glasgow School of Art, taking the certificate course from 1933 to 1935 and the Diploma course from 1935 to 1938, during which he carried out a study of housing and zinc roofing on the continent in 1937. He was admitted ARIBA on 5 December 1938, proposed by Thomas Harold Hughes, William James Smith and William Ross.

After the Second World War he entered into partnership with William John Brockie Wright as Wright & Kirkwood. The practice appears to have had an additional office in Greenock by 1953. Their one major building, 249 West George Street (1958) is of impressive design, but they were also responsible for schools in Drumchapel and Castlemilk and department store work - almost wholly internal - for Hugh Fraser; most notably the reconstruction of Pettigrew & Stephens after fire damage.

Kirkwood was a JP. By 1970 he was 'The Hon James S Kirkwood'. He continued the practice under the same name after Wright's death on 24 June 1976 until his own at Bearsden on 13 September 1983.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 5Karleen, Roman Road, Bearsden, Glasgow, ScotlandPrivate1938 *  
Item 2 of 526, Blythswood Square, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1939 *  
Item 3 of 5Greenock, Renfrewshire, ScotlandBusiness1953 *  
Item 4 of 59, Woodside Place, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1957 *  
Item 5 of 518, Woodside Terrace, Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessAfter 19571983 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3Clarke & Bell & J H Craigie19331938Apprentice 
Item 2 of 3Wright & Kirkwoodc. 19461983Partner 
Item 3 of 3Wright Kirkwood & Partners1970 *After 1975Partner 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


RIBA

RIBA Proposers

The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 3Thomas Harold Hughes5 December 1938for Associateship
Item 2 of 3William Ross5 December 1938for Associateship
Item 3 of 3(Professor) William James Smith5 December 1938for Associateship

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 101900sWester Cleddens Primary SchoolBishopbriggs Dunbartonshire/LanarkshireScotland 
Item 2 of 101948Housing, Campbell StreetGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 3 of 101948Lowther TerraceKelvinside GlasgowScotlandLinking blocks to form Old People's Home
Item 4 of 101948Muirhead & Company, 200 Sauchiehall Street  GlasgowScotlandAdditions and alterations
Item 5 of 101948New BuildingsGreenock  ScotlandNew buildings in front of Greenock Academy
Item 6 of 101951Public School, South-West AreaGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 7 of 101951Warehouses for House of Fraser, Argyll and Jamaica Streets  GlasgowScotland 
Item 8 of 10Early 1950sSt Margaret's ChurchGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 9 of 10Late 1950sOffice Block for Royal Scottish Automobile Club, West Campbell St & West Regent St  GlasgowScotlandMay have drawn up designs for this.
Item 10 of 101975Dumbarton Parish Church HallsDumbarton DunbartonshireScotlandHalls to S

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 4British Architectural Library, RIBA2001Directory of British Architects 1834-1914  Entry for Wright only; misprints Kirkwood's name as James E Kirkwood
Item 2 of 4RIBA1939The RIBA Kalendar 1939-1940 London: Royal Institute of British Architects 
Item 3 of 4RIBA1957The RIBA Kalendar 1957-1958 London: Royal Institute of British Architects 
Item 4 of 4RIBA1970RIBA Directory 1970   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 2Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Research by Iain Paterson; undated obituary cutting
Item 2 of 2RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers A no6934 (combined box 166)