Basic Biographical Details

Name: James B Dunn & Partners
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1930(?)
Ended: February 1934
Bio Notes: After James Bow Dunn's death in August 1930, his son Herbert continued the practice as James B Dunn & Partners with James Bow Dunn's principal assistant George Legat Martin. John Basden Wingate was also briefly a partner from May 1931 to May 1932. The partnership between Herbert Dunn and George Martin was dissolved in October 1931. In February 1934 Herbert rejoined the practice and the firm's name was changed to J B Dunn & Martin.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2104, West George Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1931 *  
Item 2 of 214, Frederick Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness1931 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4George Legat Martin1930(?)January 1930(?)Partner 
Item 2 of 4Noel Edmund Ironside Burchell19301931Assistant(?) 
Item 3 of 4Herbert Gordon Dunnc. 1930February 1934Partner 
Item 4 of 4John Basden WingateMay 1931May 1932Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 221930FarleyerAberfeldy PerthshireScotlandSupervised execution after James Bow Dunn's death
Item 2 of 22193114 Ramsay Garden  EdinburghScotlandAlterations
Item 3 of 22193129 Deanhaugh Street  EdinburghScotlandAlterations
Item 4 of 221931Borthwick MainsGorebridge MidlothianScotland 
Item 5 of 221931Dipper Wood ParkFerniehaugh PeeblesshireScotlandPlan of field drains
Item 6 of 221931Garage, Montrose Terrace  EdinburghScotlandExtension
Item 7 of 221931House at Oban for Mrs Fitzroy MacleanOban ArgyllScotland 
Item 8 of 221931House for Mr R GordonLongniddry East LothianScotland 
Item 9 of 221932Abbeyhill Chemical Works  EdinburghScotlandAlterations
Item 10 of 221932Central Picture HousePortobello EdinburghScotland 
Item 11 of 221932Hailes GardensColinton EdinburghScotland 
Item 12 of 221932McVities  EdinburghScotland 
Item 13 of 221932Northesk Nurseries, tomato houseMontrose AngusScotland 
Item 14 of 221932The White House EiggInverness-shireScotlandDrawings of staircase and drains
Item 15 of 22193371 Rose Street  EdinburghScotlandAlterations
Item 16 of 221933Warehosues, Firth Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 17 of 221933Wester Pencaitland FarmPencaitland East LothianScotland 
Item 18 of 22Before 1933New North Bridge Buildings  EdinburghScotlandAlterations
Item 19 of 22193491 Lothian Road  EdinburghScotlandAlterations
Item 20 of 221934AbbotshillGalashiels SelkirkshireScotlandConversion of stables
Item 21 of 221934Old Store BuildingPencaitland East LothianScotland 
Item 22 of 221934Premises for Messrs Turnbull & Wilson  EdinburghScotland 

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.