Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Joseph McKay |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||10 August 1909 |
|Died: || |
|Bio Notes: ||Joseph McKay was born on 10 August 1909 and was articled to John Bruce of Stirling in 1925. In 1930 he joined the London, Midland & Scottish Railway Company Architectural Department in Stirling as assistant, remaining there until 1932 when he began attending day classes at Glasgow School of Architecture. Whilst there he spent holidays working for Heazell & Sons in Nottingham and Thomas Johnston Beveridge in Glasgow, and undertook alterations to St Alexander's RC Church, Denny on his own account. He joined Thomas Harold Hughes' office in 1934 and obtained his diploma at on 17 June 1935. He was admitted ARIBA on 6 April 1936, his proposers being Hughes, William James Smith and A Ernest Heazell. He was promoted to chief assistant in Hughes's office and worked on additions to various Oxford colleges and new buildings for Glasgow University before leaving in 1937 to return to the London, Midland & Scottish Railway Company as assistant. He was involved with the design of varoious railway buildings such as Prestatyn Holiday Camp in North WalesOver the following two years he made study visits with parties of architects to Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium and Holland. |
McKay served as a Staff Officer (Works) with the Royal Engineers during the Second World War, reaching the rank of Captain and assisting in reconstruction work in Belgium and Germany. In 1946 he returned to London as an assistant in the Western Region Railway Architect's Department. During this time he designed and supervised the construction of six stations on the Central Line in London for the Western Regional Railway.
He emigrated to Australia in 1948, working initially for the Australian Federal and State Government Architects' Departments, and he was admitted an Associate of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects in 1950 and a Member of the Australian Planning Institute in 1951. In 1954 he was appointed Staff Architect to the Bank of Adelaide, and he was still in the same post at the time of his application for admittance as FRIBA in 1967, for which he was elected on 4 June 1969, proposed by Gavin Wakley, Gregory Bruer, and L J Wyman.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|25, Stirling Road, Causewayhead, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland||Private||1936 *|| || |
|Australia||Business||1948|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||A no6036 (stored under F no6820, combined box 162); F no 6820 (combined box 162)|