Basic Biographical Details

Name: Charles John MacLean Mackintosh
Designation: Architect
Born: 28 May 1866
Bio Notes: Charles John MacLean Mackintosh was born in Inverness on 28 May 1866 and was articled to the civil engineer and architect C R Manners of Inverness in 1881. On his father's death in 1883 he transferred to the office of the town's Master of Works, John A Mackenzie, leaving in 1887 to work as chief assistant to the surveyors Walker & Beattie in Aberdeen, where he also made the acquaintance of Arthur Clyne. In 1891 he became a Fellow of the Surveyors' Institution and obtained the position of Burgh Engineer and Master of Works for the town of Dunoon, where he collaborated on several projects with Robert Alexander Bryden. He remained there until January 1902 when he was appointed Engineer and Surveyor for Lochaber District, based at Fort William, with freedom to commence private practice as architect and civil engineer although his work appears to have been limited to agricultural and domestic buildings. He was admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911, calling on local dignitaries rather than fellow architects as his proposers because 'in this isolated district on the West' he felt 'dissociated from [his] professional brethren' and so preferred to leave his acceptance or otherwise in the hands of the RIBA Council according to his own personal statement.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2Dunoon, Argyll, ScotlandBusiness1891Late 1901 
Item 2 of 2Pine Grove, Fort William, Inverness-shire, ScotlandPrivate/businessBefore 1906 *After 1911 

* earliest date known from documented sources.

Employment and Training


The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4C R Manners18811883Apprentice 
Item 2 of 4John A Mackenzie18831887Apprentice 
Item 3 of 4Walker & Beattie18871888 or 1889Chief Assistant 
Item 4 of 4George James Walker1888 or 18891891Chief Assistant 

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 10After 1883Fire StationInverness Inverness-shireScotlandAs apprentice to John A Mackenzie
Item 2 of 10After 1883Public MarketsInverness Inverness-shireScotlandAs apprentice to John A Mackenzie
Item 3 of 10After 1883Public shelters and conveniencesInverness Inverness-shireScotlandAs apprentice to John A Mackenzie
Item 4 of 10After 1891Caretaker's house and workshops at Dunoon Water WorksDunoon ArgyllScotland 
Item 5 of 10After 1891New stables and stores for Burgh Machinery and PlantDunoon ArgyllScotland 
Item 6 of 10After 1891Public shelters, recreation rooms and conveniencesDunoon ArgyllScotland 
Item 7 of 101893Dunoon Town HallDunoon ArgyllScotlandAdditions, alterations, new gallery and decoration - in collaboration with R A Bryden
Item 8 of 101896Dunoon Pier and OfficesDunoon ArgyllScotlandRebuilding - in collaboration with R A Bryden and W R Copland
Item 9 of 101898(?)Dunoon and Cowal District Combination HospitalDunoon ArgyllScotlandAs Burgh Engineer and Master of Works - in collaboration with R A Bryden
Item 10 of 10May 1906Achnacarry, Private Cemetery  Inverness-shireScotlandDate of drawing of entrance gate and flanking walls, elevations and layout plan showing drains, sections.


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
Item 1 of 1British Architectural Library, RIBA2001Directory of British Architects 1834-1914   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers L v19 no1434