Basic Biographical Details

Name: James Sutherland
Designation: Architect
Born: c. 1833(?)
Died: 1881(?)
Bio Notes: James Sutherland was born about 1833. He is described as an architect's clerk in 1861. He was living with his wife, Adelaide, in Fountainbridge at that time. Later in that same year, 1861, he became one of the first shareholders in the Edinburgh Co-operative Building Company, the other shareholder being principally stonemasons. Its directors appear to have invited him to provide plans for their Glenogle Park development, and shortly thereafter he was appointed a director, presumably also providing the plans for Hawthornbank, Leith (1863-64) and the long later Georgian style terrace of tenements at Henderson Place and Trafalgar Street (1865-67). In 1967 he was described as having retired from the board perhaps because the last of these developments did not sell. He sent in an account for £9 19s 6d for his services, but this as not well received: the board minutes record ‘Mr Sutherland seems to have been under the impression that he was architect to the Company and as such would receive some remuneration for his professional assistance. The Directors while distinctly denying that Mr Sutherland ever held this office, or was employed by them as such, yet agree to allow him £1 1s in full for the other items on his account’. He appears to have had an apprentice as 10s was ‘allowed to the bot for the Parish Exhibition plans’.

He commenced practice as an architect and surveyor from his house at 12 Lauriston Gardens, Edinburgh, shortly thereafter. His previous background is not yet known and in some directory entries he appears as an ordained surveyor only.

At some point after May 1875 Sutherland took John Russell Walker (born 1847) into partnership. Walker had been articled to David Rhind and had subsequently been principal assistant to James Cubitt of Broad Street, London before returning to Edinburgh in 1874 as assistant to the City Architect Robert Morham.

After the partnership of Sutherland and Walker was formed, probably as a result of Walker being invited to help with the design of Hope Park Independent Church, more central premises were obtained for the practice at 63 Hanover Street; this appears to have been Walker's home as well as his office, Sutherland's house at Lauriston Gardens becoming either wholly domestic or limited to the surveying side of the practice. In 1878 or 1879 Sutherland moved house to 8 Hartington Place, Viewforth. The office remained at Hanover Street, the firm having acquired a higher profile with the competition win for a second Italian Romanesque church at Rosehall, Edinburgh. Published reports of their practice in 1877-78 sometimes give Walker's name only, suggesting he had the lead design role.

Sutherland appears to have died in 1881 (he is still listed in the Census of 1881), Walker retaining the house and office at 63 Hanover Street. Around 1884 Sutherland's son James Sutherland Junior appears to have left Walker's practice to set up on his own account with an office at 4 George Street, but his practice does not appear to have prospered as it closed within a very few years.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 411, Grindlay Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivate/business(?)1867  
Item 2 of 412, Lauriston Gardens, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivate/businessc. 1868c. 1878Presumably home after c.1875
Item 3 of 463, Hanover Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 18751881 
Item 4 of 48, Hartington Place, Viewforth, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivatec. 18781881 

Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 1Sutherland & Walker18751881Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 171861Reid Terrace, Glenogle Park  EdinburghScotland 
Item 2 of 171862Hugh Miller Place, Glenogle Park  EdinburghScotland 
Item 3 of 171863Hawthornbank PlaceLeith EdinburghScotland 
Item 4 of 171863Hawthornbank TerraceLeith EdinburghScotland 
Item 5 of 171863Rintoul Place, Glenogle Park  EdinburghScotland 
Item 6 of 171865Colville Place, Glenogle Park  EdinburghScotland 
Item 7 of 171865Henderson Place and 1-17 Trafalgar Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 8 of 171866Collins Place, Glenogle Park  EdinburghScotland 
Item 9 of 171867Norton Park Development  EdinburghScotlandProbably preliminary plans only, carried out after he ceased to be a director
Item 10 of 171869Buildings for D Sutherland & Sons  EdinburghScotland 
Item 11 of 171869Lot 2, St Mary's Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 12 of 171869Lot 5, St Mary's Street  EdinburghScotlandUnexecuted scheme
Item 13 of 17Before May 1875Hope Park Independent Church  EdinburghScotland 
Item 14 of 1718768 Ettrick RoadMerchiston EdinburghScotland 
Item 15 of 171876Premises, Leith Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 16 of 171877Rosehall UP ChurchNewington EdinburghScotlandWon competition to secure job
Item 17 of 171879Rosehall UP ChurchNewington EdinburghScotlandConstruction

References

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1Census records onlineCensuses