Basic Biographical Details

Name: Sutherland & Walker
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: After May 1875
Ended: 1881(?)
Bio Notes: The Edinburgh-based partnership between James Sutherland and John Russell Walker was formed at some point after May 1875. Little is known of Sutherland's background, save that he had been a working director of the Edinburgh Co-operative Building Company 1861-67 and had been practising from his house at 12 Lauriston Gardens since c.1870. Walker (born 1847) had been articled to David Rhind and had subsequently been principal assistant to James Cubitt of Broad Street, London before returning to Edinburgh in 1874 as assistant to the City Architect Robert Morham. After the partnership was formed, probably as a result of Walker being invited to help with the design of Hope Park Independent Church, more central premises were obtained for the practice at 63 Hanover Street; this appears to have been Walker's home as well as his office, Sutherland's house at Lauriston Gardens becoming either wholly domestic or limited to the surveying side of the practice. In 1878 or 1879 Sutherland moved house to 8 Hartington Place, Viewforth. The office remained at Hanover Street, the firm having acquired a higher profile with the competition win for a second Italian Romanesque church at Rosehall, Edinburgh. Published reports of their practice in 1877-78 sometimes give Walker's name only, suggesting he had the lead design role.

Sutherland appears to have died in 1880|81, Walker retaining the house and office at 63 Hanover Street.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 163, Hanover Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 18751881 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4John Russell Walker18751880 or 1881Partner 
Item 2 of 4James Sutherland18751881Partner 
Item 3 of 4James Sutherland (junior)After 1875c. 1884Assistant 
Item 4 of 4John Bryan Nisbet18761881Apprentice 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 7After May 1875Hope Park Independent Church  EdinburghScotlandDesigned by Sutherland alone; completed in partnership
Item 2 of 718768 Ettrick RoadMerchiston EdinburghScotland 
Item 3 of 71876Premises, Leith Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 4 of 71877Rosehall UP ChurchNewington EdinburghScotlandWon competition to secure job
Item 5 of 71877Wick UP ChurchWick CaithnessScotlandWon competition (15 premium) and secured job (Walker responsible)
Item 6 of 71878Newton School and SchoolhouseBridgend ArgyllScotlandWalker responsible
Item 7 of 71879Rosehall UP ChurchNewington EdinburghScotlandConstruction

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.