Basic Biographical Details

Name: Wright & Kay
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: c. 1946
Ended:  
Bio Notes: Alexander ('Sandy') Wright was born in 1877 and educated at Garnethill School where his classmates included Muirhead Bone, Albert Hodge and Alexander Hislop. In 1892 he commenced studies at Glasgow School of Art (which he continued until 1901) and entered the office of James Miller where he spent eighteen months as an office boy before being articled to John Hutchison, c.1894-98. Thereafter he was an assistant first with Clarke & Bell for three years c.1899-1902 and then with Alexander Cullen in Hamilton for eighteen months 1902-03 prior to emigrating to Montreal as assistant to Edward and William Sutherland with whom he remained for two and a half years, c.1903-06. He returned to Glasgow as a senior assistant to John Burnet & Son with whom he remained until he commenced independent practice at 147 Bath Street.

In 1911 Wright took into partnership a colleague at Burnet's, Edward Grigg Wylie, and moved office to 212 Bath Street. In 1928 Wylie's nephew Frederick Robert Wylie joned the practice. In 1935 the partnership with Wright was dissolved by mutual consent.

Alexander Wright served as President of the Glasgow Institute of Architect in the early 1940s. He took over Harold Hughes's practice after Hughes's death in 1947. He continued to practise in a modest way almost to the time of his death at the age of ninety-five on 30 May 1972, from the end of the Second World War in partnership with John Shields Kay as Alexander Wright & Kay in a basement office in ____. They did not really have much in common: Kay was no great designer but it was an arrangement in which Wright's great practical experience, particularly in structural matters, was always useful. In Wright's later years it kept his mind occupied and the low-key nature of the business suited them both. At some point, probably about 1970 William J Gilmour was alos a partner, the practice title being Wright Kay & William J Gilmour'.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1Glasgow, Scotland(?)Business   

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2Alexander Wrightc. 1946 Partner 
Item 2 of 2John Shields Kayc. 1946(?)c. 1970PartnerThe date 1946 seems unlikely as he was only 20 at this date.

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 41950University of Glasgow, Institute of Chemistry  GlasgowScotlandCompleted Hughes's design
Item 2 of 41951University of Glasgow, Veterinary College  GlasgowScotlandAlterations
Item 3 of 41963University of Glasgow, Institute of Chemistry  GlasgowScotlandAlterations - addition of top floor in timber
Item 4 of 41966University of Glasgow, Institute of Chemistry  GlasgowScotlandAlterations - addition of top floor in timber

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.